PDA

View Full Version : Browser questions

Sean Troy
01-13-2009, 5:14 PM
I have always used IE and use IE7 now. Can Firefox be loaded onto the computer and then use either browser whenever you want without problems? What would be the benefit? Where do you download Firefox and what about addons? Bare with me on these questions as this would be new to me. Does Firefox take up a lot of drive space? Thanks for any help getting these questions answered, Sean

Joe Pelonio
01-13-2009, 5:52 PM
I have never used IE since I installed firefox a few years ago. It's a lot easier to use and not nearly as buggy as IE. It doesn't seem to take much space,
and does have some good add-ons. probably most importantly, I have far less attacks from adware and virus with it. All you have to do is set your preference to default to either Firefox or IE as your browser, but you can still use either one.

Download here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Myk Rian
01-13-2009, 6:00 PM
I have always used IE and use IE7 now. Can Firefox be loaded onto the computer and then use either browser whenever you want without problems?
Yes

What would be the benefit?Stable
Less prone to spyware, etc.

Where do you download Firefox and what about addons?www.mozilla.org/firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/firefox)
Get adblock.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=adblock&cat=all

Bare with me on these questions as this would be new to me. Does Firefox take up a lot of drive space?30 meg or so.

Chuck Wintle
01-13-2009, 6:09 PM
I have always used IE and use IE7 now. Can Firefox be loaded onto the computer and then use either browser whenever you want without problems? What would be the benefit? Where do you download Firefox and what about addons? Bare with me on these questions as this would be new to me. Does Firefox take up a lot of drive space? Thanks for any help getting these questions answered, Sean
Sean,
I have used Firefox almost exclusively for the last several years and it seems to be better that IE7 in many ways. MS are too big and inflexible to make the best software.

Mitchell Andrus
01-13-2009, 6:34 PM
Sean,

I use IE6, IE7 and FF. I use FF to do the heavy lifting and to do the work on my website. I test in all 3 because 35% of my visitors use IE6 and another 20% use IE7. They each have quirks and need to be addressed so everything looks nice and tidy for everyone no matter the browser.

FF has the best add-ons. You should be using them to develop your site. Some drop-dead must haves for web dev as you use CSS on your site:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=developer&cat=1%2C4

Edit: Have a look at your site in IE6. On my desktop, the top nav bar is OK, but in IE6 on my laptop it looks like this: below... (screen is set to 1440 x 900)

Also, the scroll box is playing havoc with the cursor on both the desktop and laptop in IE6, flashing the hourglass non-stop. Try javascript instead perhaps?

Sean Troy
01-13-2009, 8:12 PM
Sean,

I use IE6, IE7 and FF. I use FF to do the heavy lifting and to do the work on my website. I test in all 3 because 35% of my visitors use IE6 and another 20% use IE7. They each have quirks and need to be addressed so everything looks nice and tidy for everyone no matter the browser.

FF has the best add-ons. You should be using them to develop your site. Some drop-dead must haves for web dev as you use CSS on your site:

Edit: Have a look at your site in IE6. On my desktop, the top nav bar is OK, but in IE6 on my laptop it looks like this: below... (screen is set to 1440 x 900)

Also, the scroll box is playing havoc with the cursor on both the desktop and laptop in IE6, flashing the hourglass non-stop. Try javascript instead perhaps?
I down loaded FF and have been looking at the difference. I noticed on my own site the flash movie at the top right is not playing. It says I need to download the flash player or enable it. i never had to do that with IE. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sean

Dewey Torres
01-13-2009, 8:16 PM
Sean,
FF has tons of plug ins. A quick google to specify what issue you have and get the plug-in usually fits the bill.

Some sites just plain work better with IE but FF is by far the better browser so I keep both and open which ever I need. I rarely (but sometimes) find a need for IE though.

Sean Troy
01-13-2009, 8:23 PM
I found the plug in, thanks.

Jim Becker
01-13-2009, 8:38 PM
I use FireFox as my primary browser and only use IE for a site that really requires it...generally because of a particular form that was coded too specifically for IE, etc. I use a plug-in/add-on that allows me to quickly bring the same page up in IE directly from FireFox when that occurs, too. I believe there is another plug-in that you can actually have FireFox automatically render with IE for sites you designate as requiring IE to work properly.

In addition to FireFox, I also use their Thunderbird email client for that purpose and OpenOffice for wordprocessing, etc.

Dennis Peacock
01-13-2009, 8:41 PM
Google Chrome is also another good browser. Which is what I'm using right this minute. MUCH Faster than IE and slightly faster IMHO that FF.

David G Baker
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I tried Opera when it came out years ago. It was fast but I couldn't do many of the things I wanted to do or didn't want to take the time to learn how to do them. I have Google Chrome on my desk top, gave it a try and didn't really like it. At some point if I get irritated at IE again I will give Fire Fox a shot.

Sean Troy
01-14-2009, 2:13 PM
Sean,

I used Frontpage to do the website. I can open the site and work on it live from IE by going up to the Page tab and then click on edit with Frontpage. Can that also be done with FF?

Mitchell Andrus
01-14-2009, 3:17 PM
I don't know FP well enough. They do have a forum.....

Burt Alcantara
01-14-2009, 5:14 PM
The Windows version of Firefox has an add-on that will "convert" FF into IE. It's just an icon that sits on the lower control bar. When you want to read a site that is IE specific you click the icon. When you're done, you click it again and it goes back to being FF.

I don't recall what it's called but if you search around the add-ons page you should find it.

It works very well so much so that you can get rid of IE completely.

I only use FF but on linux so the IE option isn't available to me.

Burt

Jim Becker
01-14-2009, 8:32 PM
Burt, you can't "get rid of IE" relative using that plug in. (Although you can delete the icon/shortcut for it) When you utilize it, it's just temporarily replacing the FF rendering engine with the the IE rendering engine on your machine from within FF for convenience.

Sean Troy
01-14-2009, 8:49 PM
I downloaded that add-on and you can just toggle back and forth. Good for seeing slight differences in the way a browser shows a site. I do think IE shows site a little better, or maybe just a little cleaner looking.

Don Eddard
01-14-2009, 9:11 PM
I downloaded that add-on and you can just toggle back and forth. Good for seeing slight differences in the way a browser shows a site. I do think IE shows site a little better, or maybe just a little cleaner looking.
Part of the reason your site looks better with IE is because you developed it with Frontpage. Frontpage uses several things (photo galleries come to mind) that don't display well on non-MS browsers.

Sean Troy
01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Part of the reason your site looks better with IE is because you developed it with Frontpage. Frontpage uses several things (photo galleries come to mind) that don't display well on non-MS browsers.
Actually, on my moniter, all sites look a little better in IE. They just seem more defined and clearer. I am having fun with FF though. I'll keep it and keep playing with it. I am pretty tired of Frontpage. I need to find another program to redo some of my sites. Any suggestions? Sean