PDA

View Full Version : the recession is even hitting the somali pirates pretty hard...

Neal Clayton
01-13-2009, 4:33 PM
this is concerning the iranian oil tanker they hijacked a few weeks back...

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2009/01/10/africa/OUKWD-UK-IRAN-PIRATES-SHIP.php

Hussein Ali, an associate of the pirates, told Reuters the hijackers wanted $5 million, down from an initial $20 million demand, but the owners were holding out for less.

"Negotiations are going well and we hope this time a fruitful deal will be struck," he said.

Robert Parrish
01-13-2009, 6:00 PM
Well they didn't get far with their money! Their boat sank and most of them drown!!

Ben Rafael
01-13-2009, 6:36 PM
What the heck do you spend $5m on in Somalia anyway?
I doubt the place has much in the way of stores that sell anything beyond food.
Is there a Tiffanys in Mogadishu? I'm willing to bet they dont even have a Walmart or Chuckie Cheese.

Neal Clayton
01-13-2009, 9:02 PM
i'm guessing more 50 cals and RPGs.

Karl Brogger
01-13-2009, 9:09 PM
i'm guessing more 50 cals and RPGs.

Probably not the .50's. Too heavy for the skinnies to carry around. At 8lbs, 4oz the AK47 is still a good buy for your prepubescent, malnourished soldiers.

Neal Clayton
01-14-2009, 3:22 AM
nah, they mount the 50s on their skiffs to hijack more ships with :p.

maybe it's just me but i find these piracy stories pretty funny in a surreal way (that there are still pirates in this day and age), especialy the one where a cruise ship actually outran them a few weeks back.

Well they didn't get far with their money! Their boat sank and most of them drown!!

that was also hilarious.

Ben Rafael
01-14-2009, 9:59 AM

Keystone Pirates.

Ed Hazel
01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
What the heck do you spend $5m on in Somalia anyway?

A plane ticket to any place else

Karl Brogger
01-14-2009, 6:39 PM
A plane ticket to any place else

LOL.

I was thinking about this thread earlier today. I wonder what is a bigger industry. The traditional Maritime piracy, software piracy, or media piracy? Maritime piracy is still pretty major.