PDA

View Full Version : question for computer gurus

Steve K
03-15-2003, 11:00 AM
If you were dedicating a room to personal computer use, how many circuits would have and why? There will be two computers, probably networked. The room will be about 12X14. Any other suggestions appreciated

Steve (http://www2.fwi.com/~krumy)

RJ Schuff
03-15-2003, 11:05 AM
I think that outlets are a more important consideration than circuits. My home office operates a computer, moniter, scanner, laserjet printer, subwoofer-sound system, electronic phone, desk light...hmmmm I may be forgeting something, but it is all on one circuit. Two or three outlets would be fine. Make sure nothing is attached to your computer without going through a surge suppressor. I also use a battery powered backup unit.

RJ

Jason Roehl
03-15-2003, 11:30 AM
I can't quote the code on this, but when it comes to placing outlets in a room, it's something along the lines of no point along the perimeter of the room can be more than 6' from an outlet, and any wall section greater than 3'(I think) long requires an outlet. Limit 10 single-gang boxes on a circuit (lights or outlets).

Jason
(not an electrician)

Ken Garlock
03-15-2003, 12:07 PM
you have sufficient outlets and circuits.

Home computers do not draw much current. For example, I have a 21" Viewsonic monitor, HP scanner, Yamaha speakers, and a PC with 6 SCSI hard drives. It is all through a Tripp-Lite UPS. I just looked and the UPS is at a 24% of max load 1400VA. In round numbers that is a "big" 336 watts, or less than 3 amps. So, just go with what is already in the room.

I do recommend good surge protectors. IMO, there are two types of surge protectors, Tipp-Lite Isobar, and others. A UPS is a nice accessory, and a 600VA unit for each PC would be more than enough.

As they say on TV, just do it.:)

Bill Howatt
03-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Steve,

Figure about 5-6A per well-loaded computer including monitor, printer, scanner. I would use 2 circuits to have plenty plus future expansion. You may find yourself plugging other stuff into the same circuits as well.

It depends on how you do it, but I built a custom table which holds 2 computers etc. I mounted a power bar for each workstation and therefore only have one power cable going to the wall per machine (almost anyway, a scanner is plugged into the wall).

If you are building the room, the extra cost of a box, wire and receptacle is negligible. String them along the wall and include telephone line and co-ax cable for either TV or perhaps a cable modem. The wall behind my table was a source of amusement for my wife and visitors before the table hid it. It had one box on every 16" center stud for its 10' length.

I have an intercomm from the computer room to the kitchen - better than shouting so consider a wire for this. I also ensured a clear space in one wall beside the computer desk to drop network or other signal wires down to a square cutout near the floor. I drilled 1/2" holes in the top plate so I could feed wires through from the suspended ceiling. Wireless networking cures this need at least for networking.

Where I made my biggest mistake was not allowing for adequate access behind the table for plugging stuff in and running cables etc. I did have some ports cut in the back of my table but they were scarcely adequate and I had to do a fair bit of groping and fishing. The table is too big and heavy to easily move.

Bill

Steve K
03-15-2003, 3:53 PM
Thanks to all, it is a new room and it will be in the basement. One of the rooms will be for computers and the other will be for the home theater. I am just starting to frame the computer area and I know that now is the time to plan the electrical, thanks again

Jim Izat
03-15-2003, 6:09 PM
Looks like electricity has been well covered but you should take the chance to wire for networking. If you do you can put your broadband access (even if you don't have it now you will with dial up goes away) point in a closet and all you'll have to do is to plug your ethernet cable into the nearest drop. Be glad to help if you have any questions.

Jim Izat

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-15-2003, 6:54 PM
I would have a TV even if its just a 13 " I can see out of the corner of my eye and built in storage for paper, discs, software, and reference books. Lots of shelves.

I love my flat screen monitor. It's a 15" to replace my 17" CRT. It's bigger than a 15' CRT and cost $335. They have really come down. I don't need a huge one. I have a hardwired telephone next to my left knee for those times when the cordless is screwin' up or in another room.

My old tower was under the desk but I upgraded. The new box is on top. Leave room for upgrades underneath. Plan for ventilation too.

I'm looking across my bedroom at a large screen TV and a window view. I would not want to be looking at the wall.

Put what you can below to leave more room on top for dirty dishes and coffee cups.

I guess that's it. Good luck.

Jason Roehl
03-15-2003, 6:56 PM
Mr. Izat has a point here. The one thing I'd like to add to that is to use conduit to run any data cable. That way, when the technology you install becomes obsolete in 2-5 years, you can pull new cable rather than tear down your walls.

Oh, yeah, in addition to what I said before about outlets, you may want to pepper in some double-gang outlets where you think your home theater and computers are going to be.

Jason

Steve K
03-15-2003, 7:34 PM
More good ideas, I like the idea of running some conduit. As for the electrical boxes, since this is a basement we were thinking of plug strips on two adjacent walls with a seperate circuit to each one. I have a TV card in my computer and it is one upgrade that I do use a lot. There will be about 23 feet of counter top so I will have plenty of room underneath to work with for storage and extras.

Jim, I appreciate the offer of help and I'll take you up on it now if you don't mind. We don't have broadband available yet but I always assumed when we got it, it would be cable. Is there something else I should plan for just in case? Thanks to all again and keep the thoughts coming please