PDA

View Full Version : freud ft2200 router

Brian Runau
01-13-2009, 9:23 AM
I am sometimes slow on the uptake, but....

I am trying to understand how to install their 1/4" sleeve to get this router to take 1/4" shaft router bits. Manual is not clear to me, so if anyone has any experience I would welcome the help.

Do I install the 1/4" sleeve into the 1/2' sleeve and then both of these go into the collet?

I have tried the 1/4' sleeve into the nut and this into the collet and it will not hold the shaft of the bit?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

scott spencer
01-13-2009, 9:27 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Runau;1017928]...
Do I install the 1/4" sleeve into the 1/2' sleeve and then both of these go into the collet?

/QUOTE]

If yours is like mine, then yes....the 1/4" sleeve goes into the 1/2" collet. Let it protrude just a little above the 1/2" collet

Joe Scharle
01-13-2009, 9:36 AM
An adapter sleeve (1/4", 8mm etc) slips into the 1/2" collet. However, the 1/4" collet replaces the 1/2" collet in the same nut. I've found that in order to get the collets to seat in the nut, that placing a small board over the collet helps me when smacking either collet into the nut. BTW, I separate these two pieces regularly to clean out the inside of the nut.

Charles McCracken
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I am sometimes slow on the uptake, but....

I am trying to understand how to install their 1/4" sleeve to get this router to take 1/4" shaft router bits. Manual is not clear to me, so if anyone has any experience I would welcome the help.

I have tried the 1/4' sleeve into the nut and this into the collet and it will not hold the shaft of the bit?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Brian,

All of the Freud routers that have shipped in the last few years have included a 1/4" collet, a 1/2" collet and a collet nut. To change you remove the collet from the nut and install the other (be sure they snap in place before putting the assembly in the router). If the router shipped with a 1/2" collet and a 1/4" reducer sleeve you need to be sure the collet is snapped into the nut before inserting the reducer.

Brian Runau
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Brian Runau

Curt Harms
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
you might find it worthwhile to get 2 complete collets, i.e. 1/4" collet with nut and 1/2" collet with nut. That makes it easy to change bits with different sized shanks. Freud's customer service is very good-a promptly answered phone call has gotten me what I needed, be it parts or answers.

Curt

Dave Falkenstein
01-13-2009, 3:00 PM
Amen to what Curt said. I used the Freud 1/4" adapter sleeve a few times and threw it away and bought a 1/4" collet. Much better solution.

Fred Hargis
01-13-2009, 3:09 PM
I want to third the suggestion about getting a 1/4" collet, and it's really nice to just get the collet nut as well...then you don't have to fool around changing it bcak and forth...when I bought my extra collet nuts (from Freud) I think they were like $5 apiece....but that was probably 10 years ago.

Brian Runau
01-14-2009, 8:20 AM
ok.

I got a 1/4" collet sleeve A 1/2" collet sleeve and a collet nut with my unit.

It took me 30min. to put the 1/4" into the 1/2" and it would not bottom out and the threads on the nut would not reach the threads on the router to tighten down.

The 1/4" sleeve put in the nut will not grab the shaft of the 1/4" bit tight enough to hold it. I tighten the nut with collect down as tight as it will go and the bit of shaft with literally still slide into the setup.

Am I missing a piece of something?

Thanks

Brian Runau
Indianapolis, IN

Joe Scharle
01-14-2009, 9:35 AM
First off, it should take all of 3 seconds to pop out or snap in the collet sleeve. And when they snap in, they should be loose enough to rotate with your fingers.

Left thumb applies pressure to center of collet, trying to force it out of the nut, while first 2 fingers of same hand are under nut. Right thumb applies sharp downward pressure on other end towards nut. Sleeve snaps out.

Nut face down on hard surface; collet sleeve in nut straight up. Sharp rap with edge of fist and collet snaps into nut.

Make sure inside of nut is free of dirt while collet is out.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Brian Runau
01-14-2009, 9:43 AM
joe

i have done this, but the 1/4" collet will not grab the shaft of the bit strong enought to hold it in the router.

I have tried 3 different brands of bits and they all are loose in the router when i tighten it down using the 1/4" collect sleeve and nut assembly?

They literally pull out by hand.

I am stumped by this?

Thanks.

Brian

Charles McCracken
01-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Am I missing a piece of something?

Brian,

Yes, you need to start by pushing the collet into the nut until it snaps in. Then put the collet/nut assembly in the router. Next insert the sleeve and lastly the bit.

Brian Runau
01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
There was no sleve in the box.

I only got 1/4" collet, 1/2" collet, and collet nut.

Am i missing a part?

Thanks

brian

Fred Hargis
01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
If you have both collets, the 1/4" one will replace the 1/2" one in the collet nut. It sounds to me like you have everything...but calling it a "sleeve" had me confused (a place where I spend a lot of time).

Charles McCracken
01-14-2009, 1:00 PM
Brian,

Yes, you need to start by pushing the collet into the nut until it snaps in. Then put the collet/nut assembly in the router. Next insert the sleeve and lastly the bit.

Sorry, I misread your earlier post - DOH!! Take the 1/4" collet and push it into the nut until it snaps, then put this assembly in the router. Let me know if it works.

Brian Runau
01-14-2009, 1:05 PM
I have done this, but when i do it does not make enough contact with the bit shaft to lock it in. I can pull it out by hand. I have tried 3 different brand bits and they all pull loose.

I have also inserted the 1/4" sleeve into the nut and it does click and i then put this in the router and tighten it down. When this is done i can then insert the bit by hand into the sleeve assembly.

The collet and nut assembly is not closing down the id tolerance enough to grab the bit shaft

?

Thanks

brian

Charles McCracken
01-14-2009, 1:29 PM
That's odd. Call our Parts and Repair Dept at (800) 334-4107 (option 3) and they can provide assistance and a new collet if required.

Brian Runau
01-14-2009, 3:59 PM
I will do that, thank you for helping.

Brian

Brian Runau
01-14-2009, 5:30 PM
Charles,

I did call and I was told I probably got an 8mm collect with my unit instead of the 1/4".

Are the collect's mark with size in any way so you can tell?

Thanks

Brian

Charles McCracken
01-15-2009, 8:24 AM
Charles,

I did call and I was told I probably got an 8mm collect with my unit instead of the 1/4".

Are the collect's mark with size in any way so you can tell?

Thanks

Brian

Unfortunately, they are not marked. The best way to tell is by measuring but you can also insert a bit through the bottom end of the collet to see how much play there is. It should be a close fit but without interference.

Brian Runau
01-17-2009, 6:22 PM
new sleeve came in the mail today. It worked just fine.

Thanks

Brian