PDA

View Full Version : PC 892 Opinion?

Steve Southwood
01-13-2009, 8:36 AM
Is the 892 worth buying? I have read reviews online and seen mixed results.

Reason I ask is that while checking the local pawn shop yesterday, I found a new one. Still has the cardboard wrap around the case. They are asking 135, but I am going to try lower, if I can. That is if it is worth buying.

Jeff Heil
01-13-2009, 9:31 AM
I burnt up the variable speed on mine. The three 690 series PC's I have are still going strong, abeit smaller motors and would be my recomendation. I bought a Dewalt plunge router to replace the 890 series. ALso the 690 motor doesnt work in all the 890 bases....

Lots of others have similar problems with the 890 series if you search online. The PC 3 1/4 hp Speedmatic is a bulletproof table router with lots of power depending on your needs. Mine is still going strong after countless hours.

My .02. Your results may vary.

Brent Smith
01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I'll second buying a 690. I have several of them and no problems. I bought the 890 when it first came out, used it a couple of times and now it's collecting dust. I don't like the feel of it. The balance is off and I find it top heavy.

Myk Rian
01-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I have the 893PK set. The motor is in the router table. I like it. Never have had a problem with it.
That's a good price for it.

John Callahan
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't like the feel of it. The balance is off and I find it top heavy.
+1 ....... and a reason I don't care for many of the newer generation of routers and why I like my 690 and Model 100. What is gained in power and features is, imho, traded off in weight and balance ............ not necesarily a good thing in a hand held tool.

Mike Henderson
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I have an 890 in my router table and never had any problems with it. I've cut all kinds of stuff including raised panels (not in one pass) without problems. I bought it because I could use it without a router lift, but many routers come ready to install in a table today. If you can get it for a good price, buy it. If you don't like it, list it on the forum here and you'll get your money back. There's many of us who like them (at the right price).

The advantage of the 890 over the 690 is that the 890 is variable speed. This is important for router table use, but also is nice to reduce startup torque when hand held.

Mike

Brad Townsend
01-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Does the 892 package include the plunge base? I'm asking because the value of the deal would be determined partly by WHICH plunge base it comes with. If it is the older style, that's not good. If it is the newer style, which is nearly identical to the Dewalt 616/618 plunge base, then it's a pretty good deal.

Steve Southwood
01-13-2009, 3:03 PM
All it has is the fixed base. Right now I think I am going to give it a pass. Planning a road trip Friday to check pawn shops in bigger city. Don't know why other than their stock is growing. Never know what you find.

Brent Smith
01-13-2009, 4:03 PM
The advantage of the 890 over the 690 is that the 890 is variable speed. This is important for router table use, but also is nice to reduce startup torque when hand held.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Actually, the 690 comes in a variable speed, soft start model also.

Mike Henderson
01-13-2009, 4:25 PM
Hi Mike,

Actually, the 690 comes in a variable speed, soft start model also.
I didn't know that, Brent. All the 690's I've seen have been non-soft start. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mike

Paul Steiner
01-13-2009, 7:31 PM
690 or the speedmatic. Both of these are the gold standard.