PDA

View Full Version : RTM? Who reads the manual?

Dan Mages
01-13-2009, 8:28 AM
Just another silly poll to waste your time. I'm just wondering how many people actually stop and read the manual when they buy something new or put something together.

Dan

Thomas Bank
01-13-2009, 9:03 AM
All depends on what it is...

Funny related story - the other week I was at one of the BORG stores in the finishes section picking up a few things. A pair of older women approached me to ask if I knew anything about using stains. I replied that I knew a few things and asked what their question was. Long story short(er) - they had applied the stain but a day later and it was still thick and greasy and didn't look anything like the pictures... Ummm... "Did you wipe it off?" I asked... "Wipe it off? We want to apply it!" was basically their answer. Turning a can around I read the instructions to them (paraphrased) "Apply stain, wait five to fifteen minutes, wipe off with a clean rag, wait twenty-four hours, top coat..."

"Well, how were we supposed to know that we were supposed to do that?"

Ummm... It says to right on the can? :D

David G Baker
01-13-2009, 9:19 AM
Thomas,
WHERE'S THEIR SIGN?????? :D

Donald Barfield
01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Read the manual! :confused: I thought that was somthing you do only when all else fails. :D

Al Wasser
01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
We bought a computer over the weekend -- there was no manual. Took 10 minutes to find the darn "on" button.

Greg Cole
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I say it depends on the situation and the content of said manual. Some manuals are nothing but garbled "metric English" (direct translations to English from the country of origin's native language). Other manuals have very good detailed instructions, drawings etc.
I deal with some large complicated machines at work where the manuals are numerous 3 ring binders with 100's of pages for electrical prints etc.
I've always heard it referred to "RTFM", but that's usually after someone's tried to start up a machine and seems to be having issues.
Reminds me of a college professor I had, if you ran off topic or got something totally wrong he'd strike a line through your work and write in caps "RTFQ".:p

mike holden
01-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Al - of course there was a manual with your computer - its on a pdf file on the hard drive! (grinnnnnnn!)
Mike

Jim Bowers
01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I guess I am in the minority. I always read the manual. First thing I unpack. Lately it has been hard because it may be buried in the packing materials. I read the on line manual before I purchase if it exists on line. It was a hard lesson to learn that the round peg goes into the round hole. Even If I could get a bigger hammer and have it aknowledge that it does fit.

glenn bradley
01-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I've been a professional network geek for over 25 years. I RTFM on everything. Compared to the 'light reading' I do at work, tool manuals are a snapshot.

P.s. My ego is stable enough that I also ask for directions ;-)

Dennis Peacock
01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm a guy and I don't have a clue what a manual is.

Eric DeSilva
01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I buy most of my tools second hand, so I'm lucky if I get a manual. Sometimes, if I'm stumped, I'll look online for one for a specific purpose, but generally "no," I don't read 'em. Assembling things is different... I'll generally read instructions for that.

Jim O'Dell
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm in the sometimes pile. If it is something I've done before, then now. l do read it on new items most of the times. And in cases where I can get a hold of it before the purchase, I'll go through it to make sure it will do what I want. Like the manual for the new GrizzlyG0691. I've read it, and Griz doesn't even have the saw yet!! :rolleyes: Jim.

Mike Henderson
01-13-2009, 3:17 PM
If it's a major tool, I download the manual and read it before I purchase.

"Minor" tools, I read the manual after I purchase - and sometimes after I use the tool. But I often find additional things I can do (or adjust) by reading the manual.

Mike

Jim Becker
01-13-2009, 8:39 PM
While I picked "sometimes" in the poll, I would have liked the option to choose "eventually"... :D

Brian Brown
01-13-2009, 8:46 PM
You're supposed to read that thing?! :confused: I thought it was to put in the throne room in case you ran out of the paper on the roll next to the throne! :D

Ken Garlock
01-14-2009, 11:48 AM
After many years of not RTMing,:o I finally realized that later in the process, and much frustration, I would return to RTFM:mad:

Larry Edgerton
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I have a large fire safe full of manuals just so that I can show what I had in case of a fire. I don't think I have read more than two or three in the last thirty years.

I only read them if I can't figure it out first........

Don Orr
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm with Jim Bowers and Glen Bradley, I read manuals. I also ask for directions-sometimes. Manuals are getting harder to read though. The last tool I bought, a Jet slow speed wet sharpener, had only a parts diagram-no operators manual. It did come with a DVD though. I played the video and to my surprise, who is the demonstrator-Ernie Conover ! :eek: He showed how to set up the machine, true the wheel, and use the various jigs. Entertaining and informative. I wish I had an actual paper manual though, for future reference. There is nothing available online either-I looked.:(

Brian Effinger
01-14-2009, 12:28 PM
All depends on what it is...

Funny related story - the other week I was at one of the BORG stores in the finishes section picking up a few things. A pair of older women approached me to ask if I knew anything about using stains. I replied that I knew a few things and asked what their question was. Long story short(er) - they had applied the stain but a day later and it was still thick and greasy and didn't look anything like the pictures... Ummm... "Did you wipe it off?" I asked... "Wipe it off? We want to apply it!" was basically their answer. Turning a can around I read the instructions to them (paraphrased) "Apply stain, wait five to fifteen minutes, wipe off with a clean rag, wait twenty-four hours, top coat..."

"Well, how were we supposed to know that we were supposed to do that?"

Ummm... It says to right on the can? :D
That is hilarious. I used to work at the orange borg, and this happens way too often - from both female & male customers (and age has nothing to do with it either). :D

I say it depends on the situation and the content of said manual. Some manuals are nothing but garbled "metric English" (direct translations to English from the country of origin's native language). Other manuals have very good detailed instructions, drawings etc.
I'm pretty much in this category. If the tool is simple, or I just can't simply read the horrible english, then they get tossed in the pile with the other manuals. If the machine is complicated then I'll read through it. I do usually keep all of my manuals though, just in case I need to RTFM ;)

You're supposed to read that thing?! :confused: I thought it was to put in the throne room in case you ran out of the paper on the roll next to the throne! :D
These could be used for some bathroom reading material too.

Paul Atkins
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
I just replaced a lamp plug that came with a 'manual' - a whole page with instructions on how to screw two wires on. Lots of disclaimers too. If you have to read a manual for this you shouldn't be fussing with electricity! I think I'll write a manual for the #2 pencil----

Larry Edgerton
01-14-2009, 8:04 PM
This thread made me look at my manuals today, and remember the one that makes me laugh. My first SCMI about 17 years ago came with a manual that was done by someone that obviously did not really know english. Enough to fool the boss I guess.....

I remember trying to adjust the scoring blade and it was really simple, once I threw the manual in the drawer......

Kerry Wright
01-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Depends on the complexity of the item or how much I need a laugh. I love the ones that are three (or more) pages long. Two and a half pages of warnings (IE: do not use electric under water:eek:) and three one line instructions.

1. Removed most rear cover.
2. Insert batteries not wronged.
3. Use way intended.

Very Informative!

:p:rolleyes::confused::(

Randy Walker
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
With the recent purchase of a cordless tool I did go searching for the battery charging time but only scanned the book for anything new. On most other things eventualy (like Jim Becker said ).http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Randal Stevenson
01-15-2009, 3:24 PM
Being a Linux user, I RTFM lots. However, I have run into multiple times not being able to find what I need, or learning I need some other terminology.

By the way, a can is a manual? LOL

Jesse Espe
01-16-2009, 1:50 PM
I read the manual...eventually. However, I don't always read the manual FIRST.

Matt Walton
01-18-2009, 2:57 PM
I usually start doing it without the manual, but if I get stuck, I look it up in the manual and keep on going.
and if I need to assemble somthing, it's debatable.:D
but I did recently buy an 800 page book on Ubuntu, and that is my nighttime reading.

Sonny Edmonds
01-18-2009, 3:50 PM
It sez I already voted on this poll.
I sure don't remember doing that.
Is there a manual for these SMC Polls?
I think I've gotten the pole here. :eek:

I only read the manual if I can't readily see how something goes together, and then only for the part in question.
I NEVER read the 4 pages of crap that precedes the instructional parts of the manual.
"Do not immerse tool in water while plugged in."
"Do not put fingers into any moving parts."
And the other 10 pounds of baloney that precedes two pages of otherwise moronic instructions. :(

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Just another silly poll to waste your time. I'm just wondering how many people actually stop and read the manual when they buy something new or put something together.

Dan

Dan, re your sig line. Obviously you haven't looked at the cat yet.........Rod.