PDA

View Full Version : Help! Problem with my VL200

kyna cass
01-13-2009, 1:06 AM
Let me start off by saying I am newbie to this laser business. My husband and I purchased a used VL200 a month and a half ago and we have yet to have it running properly.The problem is the x axis dosnt know where home is. Y axis and z axis move properly but the x axis dosnt know where home is. When running a job it flies all over the place. When moving the head with the vcp the X axis more often moves in the opposite direction or not at all ?!Grinding noise coming from machine and shaking rapidly back and forth about 1/8th of an inch and knocking into the side like its overshooting its job..... Y can be controlled accurately with vcp.
We have been in contact with ULS and we have :
1) changed the CPU (no difference)
2)changed both x and y boards and white flex cable (no difference)
3) tried 4 different computers with nothing loaded on them 2 had Vista and 2 had XP Home (no difference)
4) tried numerous drivers (no diff)
5)new usb cable 6ft
6) checked all connectors inside computer (all tight)

Everthing has been calibrated as per instructed in the manual

any ideas would be soooo appreciated.....Thank you in advance

Andrey Anfimov
01-13-2009, 2:49 AM
Hello, Kyna!

1) Cable USB 6 ft. is too long. Use 3 ft (1m) cable. It is maximum for VL.
2) May be you have problem with motor of X axis.
3) VL has end sensor of X axis. You can find it under the cover of laser head on the right side. Clean it with brush and inspect it.
4) Check all connectors inside VL, not computer.

Good luck!

Zvi Grinberg
01-13-2009, 10:51 AM
VL200 is quite an old model. Already more than 2 years since the VLS2.30 came out to continue. Do you know how old is your machine?

The VL200 is a very reliable model in general.

You describe a problem of X Axis slipping. After you tried all the above I think there's a mechanical wear to the bearings, belts and less likely the X-motor.

Replacing the X-Axis belt is a job that requires adequate mechanical skills. Before you approach it I would recomend to get the all bearings and the belts. Parts are not expensive, however you'll be compensated by doing it once and properly.
I do hope you don't get into replacing a motor.

Dave Johnson29
01-13-2009, 11:47 AM
We have been in contact with ULS and we have :
1) changed the CPU (no difference)
2)changed both x and y boards and white flex cable (no difference)
3) tried 4 different computers with nothing loaded on them 2 had Vista and 2 had XP Home (no difference)
4) tried numerous drivers (no diff)
5)new usb cable 6ft
6) checked all connectors inside computer (all tight)

Hi Kyna,

What about checking out the control panel. The tactile switch on the panel may have dust or moisture in it. Usually the "button" is a rubber sheet sitting on top of the board. Try cleaning with alcohol, drying and putting it back together.

Mike Mackenzie
01-13-2009, 1:51 PM
Kyna,

First off where are you located? I believe that the problem is with the X axis limit switch. Dirty or bad Do you have the maintenance manual for the system?

I am attaching the section on the X axis homing board.

The other thing to look at is the air lines for the air assist they may be old and binding up the X axis if so cut them out and try the system you can replace them with new hoses.

Dose the system even re set when powered on?

I still think it is either the airline hose or the home sensor board.

kyna cass
01-13-2009, 7:56 PM
Thanks for all of your replies so quickly.....
We have replaced the x axis sensor board and white flex cable. The machine is not completely resetting when powered on . The z axis and y axis WILL home but the X axis will not. It will just rattle and shake going nowhere. We can however manually home the x axis by hand but when commanding it to do a print job from there it will not compute the job properly.
Is it possible the x axis sensor board is faulty when I just purchased brand new from ULS ? Just to cover my bases I did order another one. I ordered a new belt , bearings and the black connector belt seen on the right side of the machine.
I'm going to try to find a 3ft usb too. They seem to be hard to find here. Most are 6 ft and longer.
Do you think even if I can move the head back and forth freely
(left to right) by hand when the power is off , that the air hoses could be a possible problem ?
I believe Mike was asking where we are from...We live on Vancouver Island ,B.C. Canada
Thanks again everyone
I appreciate your input

kyna cass
01-13-2009, 8:06 PM
I forgot to mention that this laser was purchased second hand. The person I purchased from told me he hardly used it . He had bought the machine to add an extra service to his embroidery business. He has since retired. Anyway when UPS packaged the machine to send it to me whom ever did the packaging put the machine in the box upside down . Quite surprised when I opened it ! We think this is start of malfunctioning problem.

Mike Mackenzie
01-13-2009, 9:07 PM
Kyna,

I will put you in touch with the rep in Vancouver I am sure he will be able to help you fix the problem.

When you roll the head back and forth look behind where the belt is and see if you see the air hoses coming out of there track. If they do then I would still suspect the hoses.

You may have a motor problem as well did you check the drive gear on the motor to be sure it was tight? Inspect the idler pulley on the opposite side and see if that is not getting caught up. Look over the connector to the X motor make sure it has good contacts and none of the wires are damaged.

I will find Stewart's contact and post it here tomorrow.

kyna cass
01-13-2009, 9:38 PM
Mike thank you for your reply, We have been in contact with Stewart, hes a super busy man, he wont be able to help us for a couple / few weeks, We were trying to see if we could get anywhere with this machine in the mean time( until he returned back from his trip) . We will definately check the components you suggested.
Thank you again
Kyna