PDA

View Full Version : How did I miss the Veritas Dovetail saw discussion?

Dave Lehnert
01-12-2009, 9:44 PM
Got the new Jan. Lee Valley catalog and they show the New Veritas Dovetail saw. Interesting to say the least. $65.00 so it is priced right.

The front page says it "Has generated a tremendous amount of discussion on the Internet woodworking forums" So How did I miss this one?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=61974&cat=1,42884

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/Woodworking/Saws/05t0501s14.jpg

Dewey Torres
01-12-2009, 9:46 PM
Got the new Jan. Lee Valley catalog and they show the New Veritas Dovetail saw. Interesting to say the least. $65.00 so it is priced right.

The front page says it "Has generated a tremendous amount of discussion on the Internet woodworking forums" So How did I miss this one?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=61974&cat=1,42884

Dave,
They are talking about this thread:D Its you and me discussing the saw.

Steve Clardy
01-12-2009, 9:47 PM
There was a big, long, and rather windy thread over at WN here while back when it was introduced

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 10:17 PM
I believe there are two threads about it here in this forum, too, if my memory serves...

Rob Lee
01-13-2009, 7:49 AM
Hi -

I'm just glad someone reads the inside cover letters.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

John Powers
01-13-2009, 8:02 AM
Missed the discussion??? Were you on that oil tanker held by the Pirates off Somalia or perhaps meditating in the highest reaches of Nepal in a Monestary where they use pull saws?

mike roe
01-13-2009, 1:09 PM
I just received the Jan catalog and read the inside cover last night. I also just received the saw - there has been enough said already so ill just add - love it.

Rob Grubbs
01-13-2009, 1:33 PM
My saw is set to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to see what the fuss is about. ;)

Nate Folco
01-13-2009, 3:32 PM
Checks...

On FedEx vehicle for deliveryExcellent.

Chris Padilla
01-13-2009, 4:04 PM
Why all the hub-bub? It is just your average, normal, everyday injection molded under high pressure using an advanced material incorporating stainless-steel powder for weight, glass fiber for stiffness, and a polymer resin binder spine on the saw.

Sigh...

;)

Jason Tuinstra
01-13-2009, 6:20 PM
I guess I've been on the dark side of the moon as this is the first time I've seen the saw, let alone heard anything about it. Is that coffee I smell? Anyway, I'd love to hear what the reviews say. Great price point, that's for sure. But I'm kind of partial to tiger maple handles ;)

Doug Shepard
01-13-2009, 6:28 PM

Aw. Then you missed the $25 introductory pricing too then? Bummer dude.:(

Ian Gillis
01-13-2009, 7:33 PM
Hi

I walked into my local LV store and bought one last week. Every other dovetail saw I've tried has been toe heavy to some extent. This baby feels completely neutral in my hand. They tell you in the catalog that your index finger will naturally comes to rest on the on the optimal spot on the high tech composite "spine". That's true, but more importantly to me, the tip of my finger lands right above the balance point of the saw.

It cuts fast, tracks flawlessly and fits comfortably in my hand. My only beef is that I need to change an old habit. On the soft pine I've been using it on, my habit of starting the cut by drawing the saw backwards along the line on the near face of the board results in the saw digging in when I push it forward. I have found that (for me) it's better to start the cut on the push stroke. Could be a different story on harder woods.

For $69 Canabucks, I don't think I can do better.

John Keeton
01-13-2009, 8:00 PM
I walked into my local LV store.....
Ian, that just ain't right!! Any fellow woodworker of substance wouldn't rub it in on his fellow creekers that he could "walk into his LOCAL LV store. Then, on the other hand, my new 2009 tool budget wouldn't last past February if I could do that!

On topic, I received my new LV saw about a month ago, and it meets all expectations. One sweet saw! As Chris alluded to, they took high tech and made it look abundantly simple. It has a tremendous amount of ergonomic design built in, and, personally, I think it looks great! But then, so does a traditional LN - just different strokes for different folks - and at a great price.

Ian Gillis
01-13-2009, 8:36 PM
Hehe

I don't do tool gloats, but living near a LV outlet is pretty sweet. I was in Vancouver when they opened on the west coast, and when I came home to the east coast they were already here.

Now here's the real gloat... the Clearance Table!! I always head straight for the clearance table... discontinued items, returns with small defects. Stuff you other mooks will never get a crack at! Ruhahaha!

John Keeton
01-13-2009, 9:03 PM
That's low! Cut a guy deep with the "local" thing, and then throw a bucket of salt in the wound!

Jim Becker
01-13-2009, 9:15 PM
Hi -

I'm just glad someone reads the inside cover letters.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Of course we read them!!! Honestly, there is very often some interesting tidbits of information in your intro notes. But for the record, I actually read the small blurb on the cover art first (Kewel spoons!)...and then your musings. :p

That reminds me...I need to order some stuff... :)

Chuck Tringo
01-13-2009, 9:17 PM
Clearance table eh ? good thing Ill be moving within 2 hours of at least 3 stores next summer :D

Hehe

I don't do tool gloats, but living near a LV outlet is pretty sweet. I was in Vancouver when they opened on the west coast, and when I came home to the east coast they were already here.

Now here's the real gloat... the Clearance Table!! I always head straight for the clearance table... discontinued items, returns with small defects. Stuff you other mooks will never get a crack at! Ruhahaha!

Jim Tolpin
01-15-2009, 2:33 PM
I just got the new LV saw myself and have been trying it out for a couple of days now. I gotta say: its now my favorite western-style dovetail saws (and I have one of the original Indepence Tool versions as well as some good antiques. The neutral balance and the feel of the handle are what make it so good... By the way, I do find that my Dozuki's are still preferable for making the really fine cuts necessary for close fitting (French style--or is it still "Freedom" style ?--dovetails)..

Don Dorn
01-15-2009, 5:31 PM
I bought mine a little before Christmas. It's a nice saw and cuts a nice think kerf. That said - I have a Crown gents saw that I sharpened per the Frank Klausz method. The gents saw cuts just as thin and faster than the LV, but isn't as controllable. I love the handle shape on the LV and have made the switch.

Alan DuBoff
01-15-2009, 6:31 PM
I bought mine a little before Christmas. It's a nice saw and cuts a nice think kerf. That said - I have a Crown gents saw that I sharpened per the Frank Klausz method. The gents saw cuts just as thin and faster than the LV, but isn't as controllable. I love the handle shape on the LV and have made the switch.
Don,

Any sharp saw will cut well, that goes for a paint scraper, because it is very similar in that it is spring steel. File some teeth and a paint scraper (with handle intact) will cut better than many saws that people use.

What most folks don't seem to realize is that the edge of the teeth on a saw, are similar to any edge tool. As such they go dull, and need to be sharpened. The best cutting saw is typically a freshly sharpened saw, IMO.

The plate on the Crown vs. the plate on the Veritas is similar, at least to me most all of the modern produced steel is very similar. Older saws I see more variance, in my small sampling.

Like all things, having the vise setup to sharpen, and having the files close by go along way to encourage the process. At least having it accessible and ready to mount quickly, if not mounted already.

The more I have been thinking about the Veritas saw, the more impressed I am with it, in terms of price. That is an impressive saw for $70. The Crown is an impressive saw blade for $20. I bought it to cut the handle off. First saw I ever put together. The handle was done in maple burl, kinda odd to use for a handle, but it was pretty strong and had nice figure.

Put a new handle on your Crown Don! Fun project...:)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97139&d=1221807070

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2009, 6:32 PM
Clearance table eh ? good thing Ill be moving within 2 hours of at least 3 stores next summer :D

Living near an LV store is highly over-rated, I know because there are 3 in my town.

Last week I was at the store picking up some needed stuff (isn't it all?) when I noticed a flyer for a hands on plane demo.

If I buy a plane or a spokeshave, they give me a gift card................Just what I need, more enticement.

I swear, I should just have my pay direct deposited to LV, and use what's left at the end of the month for non esentials like shelter, food, heat, light etc.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Lee
01-16-2009, 7:47 AM
:D

(snip)
I swear, I should just have my pay direct deposited to LV, and use what's left at the end of the month for non esentials like shelter, food, heat, light etc.

Regards, Rod.

Rod -

Pls cut back on the food, heat, and light....:eek::D

Cheers -

Rob

Tristan Raymond
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
:D

Rod -

Pls cut back on the food, heat, and light....:eek::D

Cheers -

Rob

I like heat, but can do with less food and light. Can we get a store in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Ian Gillis
01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Living near an LV store is highly over-rated, I know because there are 3 in my town.

Last week I was at the store picking up some needed stuff (isn't it all?) when I noticed a flyer for a hands on plane demo.

If I buy a plane or a spokeshave, they give me a gift card................Just what I need, more enticement.

Regards, Rod.

Hi Rod

Yes, it is a double-edged sword. The "good stuff" is never more than a short drive away, but for anyone suffering from TAS (tool acquisition syndrome), it like being an addict set loose in a hospital pharmacy.

I've developed blinders -- I shop the website from home, add the items to my wishlist and swear I won't buy any impulse items once I'm in the store. That's unless I find something really sweet on the Clearance Table ;)

I'm staying away from the planing event. I don't want to know how much better those sexy bevel up planes are than my brood of old Stanleys -- what I don't know can't hurt me!

Still, Rob L, I've happily paid my share in tribute to you and your uncle over the years. I got my first catalog in '82. That's when your marketing was limited to about 1 1/2" column inches in the back of Harrowsmith magazine. My only gripe against LV is that you keep improving stuff! I finally buy your Lexus low angle block plane and you come out with a freakin' Ferrari!!

Cheers,
Ian

Brian Kent
01-16-2009, 6:36 PM
Don,

The more I have been thinking about the Veritas saw, the more impressed I am with it, in terms of price. That is an impressive saw for $70. The Crown is an impressive saw blade for $20. I bought it to cut the handle off. First saw I ever put together. The handle was done in maple burl, kinda odd to use for a handle, but it was pretty strong and had nice figure.

Put a new handle on your Crown Don! Fun project...:)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97139&d=1221807070

Alan,
Thanks for the picture. You just answered a question that I have thought about for a long time!

Brian