PDA

View Full Version : Small gloat and almost new worlds record

Cecil Arnold
06-23-2004, 11:50 PM
One reason I wound up at SMC was that I was shopping bandsaws. One individual I contacted recommended this site and after visiting I decided to join. I've found it to be a friendly, helpful group of woodworkers, which is more than I can say for others I've visited. Monday, I took the plunge. About noon local time (Houston) I called the MM folks and ordered a MM16. The freight compnay was supposed to call today (Wednesday) to set up delivery and when I didn't hear from then I called the MM rep. He gave me the number for the freight company and when I called I was told that the saw was on the truck and they would try to call the driver to see when I could expect it to arrive. Before the diapacher could call the driver I heard the truck out front. This was about 2:45 pm. The driver said he would have delivered yesterday (which would have been a worlds record) but just got tied up. Two days from order to sitting in the shop is amaizing.

Some comments on the MM16. There are a few shipping scratches in the paint, but they are not noticable unless you are cleaning the gunk off. As to the gunk, that some have called cosmoline, to paraphraise a fellow Texan from the VP Debates a few years ago "Senator, I know cosmoline, and you sir are no cosmoline" or somehting like that. Other observations--I have a minor problem with the power switch (it doesn't work right) and after calling MM I was talked through troubleshooting some possible electrical faults. I have been told they will overnight a new switch, and the tech suport guy is supposed to call and talk me through installing it. The carbide blade is on back order, which seems to be a recurring situation from reading the posts here, and the supplied blades (Olsen) are less than thrilling, but "free." The miter gauge is also not something to write home about, but appears functional. After using a Jet 14CS the fence on the MM is great. It's adjusted parallel to the miter slot for now and I'll check it for true with the blade sometime tomorrow, assumeing the switch comes in. The mobility kit works well, but that is one heavy hunk of cast iron and steel.

Updates to follow.

Bruce Page
06-24-2004, 9:33 AM
Cecil, congrats on the MM 16. Mine was delivered two weeks ago. I didn't have any electrical problems. I agree with your evaluation of the blade & miter gauge.

Welcome to the Creek!

Ken Garlock
06-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the MM16, Cecil. I know you will like it. A couple comments for you to consider.

1) Contact Iturra Designs and get their catalog. The catalog is an education in itself. Also consider buying their blade tension gauge, it is $135 well spent, IMO.

2) Read David Marks information on diynet.com regarding refurbishing and setting up a Band saw. The set up is the important part, I think. Having the fence parallel to the miter slot is not the answer for a band saw, with proper adjustment of the fence, I can cut slices as thin as .025". David's article will show you how to setup a fence.

The people at MiniMax understand the business they are in: Customer Service. When I bought my MM16, I was able to pick it up and the Dallas WW show without paying any shipping. They just loaded it in the truck along with all their display models and brought it to the show for my pickup.

Good equipment, good people. :)

Bill Bezilla
06-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Cecil,

I will second the opinions expressed on Mini-Max. I received an S16 2 weeks ago and had same shipping experience as you. I rushed home from work and pulled in the drive right behind the delivery truck.
The people at Mini-max seem to be first rate. I spent quite a bit of time reading post on the Laguna and Mini-max forums and felt there was a huge difference in customer service. Seems like at Laguna problems have to run all the way up the flagpole before you get any resolution but Mini-Max makes it right the first time without the hassles.

Congrats on the MM16 - I'm sure you will love it. I have no complaints with my S16 or Mini-Max. By the way if anyone is ever down in Austin I hear Minimax welcomes walk- ins and will give you a first class demo of any equipment!:D