PDA

View Full Version : need help finding wood

curtis rosche
01-12-2009, 9:00 PM
im trying to find a peice or 2 of osage. my wrestling coach asked me to make 2 handles for his masonary hammers, the heads on the ones he has keep breaking or coming off. so i figured osage is hard and a little flexible, and dense enough that it wont crush. i made a couple mock ups using scrap pine glued together, but i think the real handles should be solid right? the coach chose the one that he like the most, and i need 2 peices of osage the are 2 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 20 inches. the local yard that has the wood only has 1 inch stuff and they buy it cut, so i cant get special cuts. th e bay didnt have any big enough, and the other couple sites i found you needed a minimum order of $100 for nonlocal shipping.

any one know where to get it?

Scott Conners
01-12-2009, 9:09 PM
The most widely used wood for tool handles is hickory. Hickory handles are standard issue on pretty much all commercial hammers. If he is breaking hickory handles, I'd try a laminated construction, which should add strength. It would also let you use smaller stock to achive final size.
Here are some other suppliers that might be able to help you out, I'd try contacting them directly:
http://www.bellforestproducts.com/
http://www.cookwoods.com/Osage%20Orange.htm - These guys have some blanks in stock that might suit your needs if you were to laminate.

Tom Lewis
01-13-2009, 12:01 AM
I have lots of Osage, but it's still green. I would be glad to give you some, but since it's still pretty green it could split.

Reed Gray
01-13-2009, 1:00 AM
Hickory is used because of its ability withstand shock loads. Most of the masonry handles I have seen are metal. Wood handled hammers are great for driving nails, but lousy for pulling them, unless the handle is strengthened. Not sure how he is breaking his handles. Also, seasonal shrinking will make the handles loose. You knock it back into the head, and it is firm till it gets damp, then dry again. A never ending cycle unless you live some where that is always dry, or always wet.
robo hippy

Paul Atkins
01-13-2009, 1:48 AM
Can you get some dry Black Locust? I've made numerous handles for tools and have not had one break yet. (Hammer handles, chisels, wood vise, garden tools, and bookbinder tools.)

Daren K Nelson
01-13-2009, 8:12 AM
I have some that I rived out for ax handles, it would be rough like that and need worked down with a draw knife/spoke shave (if you are into that much work). Shoot me a PM or visit my site for my contact info, I will dig around and see if I have any left that suits your dimensions.

Russ Sears
01-14-2009, 3:41 PM
Curtis, Groff's Lumber down below the Buck might have it. It's worth a call and if you're really lucky, he might have something in the dollar box that would suit.

Harry Hagan
01-15-2009, 4:54 PM
These guys usually have a good assortment on hand. The last time I paid them a visit they were cutting up a huge osage tree in their parking lot.

http://www.choice-woods.com/

curtis rosche
01-15-2009, 8:12 PM
i called groff and groff. they didnt have any thick stock when i called, but i am going to go check this weekend, hopefully