PDA

View Full Version : The "perpetual economic stuff hits the fan" syndrome strikes home

mark page
01-12-2009, 8:59 PM
It was announced last Thursday that my company was closing three stores in the district. It so happened that mine was one of them. My store was shut down and closed end of day Friday. I kinda knew this was coming sooner or later due to the demographic situations surrounding my store. The good news out of this is that both of my teamates did not lose their jobs. They will be transferred with the same job titles and hours. Myself, I lost my title as manager, and will be ultimately transferred to another store as an associate manager. (Asst. mgr. with full bonus perks). In the meantime I get to assist in two store inventories, tie-outs, and pull downs of product. I hate to lose my title and manager perks, as I lose my company vehicle and paid fuel. But as weird as it seems, my potential for salary compensation may go up if the bonus compensation out-weighs the cost of fuel for transportation. Only time will tell in this case.
I feel I did a good job as a manager in several measured perspectives. First no one out of my team lost their jobs. Others were not as lucky. Second, the first questions out of my teams mouths were "Are they going to split us all up?" Not the question of "do we still have a job?" That one killed me to answer, but the answer was "yes". This response almost brought a tear to my eye. Third, in retrospect, I had to cut one employees hours from full to part time. The company offered her a full time position if she wanted to transfer to another facility. She stated "no" and that she would continue to work for me on part time hours.
I guess my whole point in this situation has to remain positive as it very well could be a blessing in its own. We are all getting out of a very bad part of the city and don't have to worry about getting held up everytime we walk out of the store. We all still have jobs and are held in high standards within the company. And all of us can actually find something positive from all of this in one way or another, even though on the surface it hurts just a little.

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 9:52 PM
Yea, things like that hit home fast, Mark...but your comments about the team are just wonderful to hear. That's what it is all about. The team I work on is very similar and it totally overcomes a lot of effects from the economy on the business for me.

Sonny Edmonds
01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
There is a lot of good and positive things I read in your post.
You are getting out of a bad part of town, your team is emerging whole from the changes, one of your team is taking it on the chin to stay with her team.
Hopefully, things will take an upturn for you and your team.
I'm hoping for the positive to come about for you.
We are in scary and perilous times. :confused:
You must be a good manager to have held onto your team. I see that as a really good mark for you. And you sound like you still have a positive attitude about it all.
Try and stay positive through the changes ahead. :)

Dewey Torres
01-13-2009, 1:01 AM
Good luck Mark!

Sadly it will be far worse for many others. Hold on America:eek:

Joe Chritz
01-13-2009, 7:12 AM
In my business we have a saying that you can teach someone to manage. Leadership is an inherent trait.

People work for a manager because they have to, they work for a leader because they want to.

Sometimes you can do everything right and it still goes in a handbasket.

I hope the new position works out well.

Joe

Mike Wilkins
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Glad to hear you are keeping your head up in all this. Nice to hear that you are more concerned with the feelings of your co-workers than the move.
Like me and my last layoff, I missed some of the folks I worked with more than the loss of the job.