PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at work from Tibbetts book

Dave Mcintire
01-12-2009, 7:42 PM
The picture I think I have attached is my attempt of a project from Tibbetts book (Blackberry Swirl). Its far from the quality of his work, but it was a lot of fun to try. I did vary the technique some by cutting complete circles from the disk instead of semicircles by using a jig saw with a fine blade. I hope he doesn't mind copy cats. The book is the best I have found yet on Segmented work. I wish he would do another one as I can't figure out a few things like how to do the "feathers" in the top of vessels and how to get the small triangles in the lower rings like I have seen. Anyway, a fun project and a great book.

Bill Bolen
01-12-2009, 7:46 PM
That's very pretty. You have a great eye for color too. M.T. would be proud of you...Bill...

Dewey Torres
01-12-2009, 7:46 PM
Dave that is a wonderful looking piece. Mr Tibbetts himself may even comment!

Richard Madison
01-12-2009, 7:55 PM
Dave,

Go to tahoeturner.com to purchase DVD's and visit the gallery. Not an employee, just a satisfied book owner like yourself.

Very nice work on the bowl from a board.

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2009, 8:17 PM
Very nice job. Have the book. Hope to get the time to give it a try.

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:32 PM
Dave, I am not ready for all those little pieces yet! I think I would have to pull the little hair I have left out before I was done!!

Looks real nice! The color is super!

Jeff

Ryan Baker
01-12-2009, 8:50 PM
I agree that you should get the DVD set. They are quite good. I am really looking forward to the third DVD, which is supposed to be coming soon.

Jim Kountz
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Thats a really nice piece there, Im like Jeff all those pieces would have me screaming out into the night!! LOL

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Dave, nice job! There’s certainly nothing wrong with keeping the ring whole instead of joining half-rings; in fact keeping them whole is a better way to do it.
Richard and Ryan, thanks for the plug on my DVDs. Volume Three is “in the works”, but it’s going to be a while – late spring at the soonest.

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Dave that is a beauty. Very well done.

Brodie Brickey
01-13-2009, 2:02 PM
Dave,

Absolutely gorgeous.

Mike Spanbauer
01-13-2009, 2:31 PM
That's a very attractive piece. I find segmented work to be the most attractive "spun" work that we can do. I've yet to turn my first segmented piece, but I have read MT's book and am enthusiastic to try one eventually :) It'll be a bit before I try though as I'm still on the beginning edge of the learning curve.

mike

Dwight McNutt
01-13-2009, 4:53 PM
Nice work!!:)

Scott Lux
01-13-2009, 5:02 PM
I'm reading through Malcom's book now myself. It's a great read and a great inspiration.

Your piece seems a vary worthy homage. What is the purple wood?

Lux

Gary Kvasnicka
01-13-2009, 6:13 PM
Great Job!

alex carey
01-13-2009, 6:45 PM
Beautiful work. I'd love to know how many hours went into that.

Ryan Baker
01-13-2009, 7:15 PM
Dave,

I forgot to mention before that both the feathers and the triangles are demonstrated in Malcom's second DVD. Nice work.

Dave Mcintire
01-14-2009, 5:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and advise on the CDs. I have a birthday coming in Mar and that will relieve the wardens anguish about what to buy.
Other questions:
The primary wood is purple heart, the black is two layers of black dyed veneer (supposed to be ebony but veneer fit the wallet better), rim on top is rosewood.
Unfortunately I have a day job that interferes with my hobbies, so I work little bits of time now and then so it is hard to estimate the time needed, but I don't think it was more than 5 hours. Its not as hard as it looks, the trickiest part is glueing the disk accurately and cutting the 36 purple heart wedges. After glueing and leveling the disk, the rings are cut either whole rings cut on a jig saw by inserting the blade in a hole or semi circle cut on a band saw and reglueing. After that the turning is pretty straight forward except it gets thin and the outer rings started to chatter. I removed the chatter marks by sanding.