PDA

View Full Version : Need help please (projects for elementary school) . .

Charles Wilson
01-12-2009, 6:37 PM
I have volunteered to do some wood working projects at an elementary school. It is part of a program called "Arts Night".

Any how, a local BORG type store offered to donate some of the project kits that we were supposed to work on. Well, come to find out there was a change in management and apparently the new management said that they were not going to honor the promise for the materials/kits.

We were able to get two projects/packets (one is a miniature planter type thing) from another BORG type store in the area (which we were very appreciative of). Although we have the two weeks worth of packets, I was wondering if anyone here had some simple plans that I can precut {as we can get (buy/donate) materials from some local lumber yards} and they kids/parents can assemble.

Also, if anyone is interested in helping me out with materials and/or ideas, feel free to PM me or post.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Kevin Godshall
01-12-2009, 6:46 PM
I had good success with both Cub Scouts and homeschooled kids, making bluebird houses. There are several plans online and they are simple and straightforward. A lot of skill builders can be incorporated, depending on the age and ability of who you are teaching.

An additional benefit, I printed off data sheets on bluebirds that included how and where to hang the boxes to attract birds, and, how to monitor the boxes and do annual upkeep. The kids not only got the hands-on build, but education of a bird species and habitat.

Depending on your area, you could pick another bird indigent to your locale, and make suitable nesting boxes for them. (Robins take a shelf box, wrens are cavity dwellers, etc) Just need to know the specs and hole sizes.

John Sanford
01-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Check out this blog for some inspiration.

Wisdom of the Hands (http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/)

Charles Wilson
01-13-2009, 9:23 PM
Bump to the top.