PDA

View Full Version : Another Vacuum System?

Ken Glass
01-12-2009, 6:30 PM
Hey Gang,
I finally finished my Vacuum System. I owe thanks to both Steve Schlumpf and Tom Steyer. Steve's tutorial was a valuable tool in gathering parts and putting them together. I first used a through the headstock Vacuum Rotary Adapter from another source and could only muster 20-21 Hg's with the setup because of leaking at the adapter fitting. After ordering Tom's adapter (especially made for my 3520B) I achieved 27-28 Hg's. That made a huge difference. I also liked the fact that I can just plug it into my outboard headstock and pull it out when I am finished. I also made a couple of Vacuum Chucks from MDF and PVC. I used Hot glue to get a good seal around the shoulders of the fittings.

John Sheets
01-12-2009, 6:49 PM
Ken,
I second the motion that Steve's tutorial was a great help. I made my setup several months ago, and it looks much like yours. And I can't imagine a rotary adapter better than Tom Steyer's. There's a lot of info on SMC and these guys are generous with it.
John S

Burt Alcantara
01-12-2009, 7:12 PM
Some people say you shouldn't go past 23hg. Supposedly, 12hg is enough. I only get 22hg on my HoldFast but at that pressure I can't rip the turning off the chuck.

As they say, YMMV.
Burt

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Ken - congrats on getting your vacuum system up and running! Like you, I think the Steyer adapter makes all the difference in the world! Have fun with your system - it makes finishing turnings so much easier!

Burt - on the hg thing - it really all depends on the size of the chuck that you are using. The larger the chuck - the more pressure will be applied with a given amount of hg. There are charts/formulas available that you determine proper hg levels. Personally, I use a 4" chuck most of the time and have never needed or wanted to go above 20 hg.

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Congrats on your vacuum chuck. Looks like it will do a fine job.