PDA

View Full Version : Toolchest/Dresser

Dave Anthony
01-12-2009, 5:22 PM
I made this from plans in Woodsmith. It's QS white oak w/fake through tennons. This was my 1st time working with solid panels of any size. I knew this would be a stretch for my abilities so a tool chest seemed like an ideal practice project. Now my wife wants to take off the wheels & use it as a dresser, so I'm not sure what I made.

GERALD HARGROVE
01-12-2009, 5:28 PM
At least you should make another, to be used inside the house. Great looking Toolchest/ Dresser, it looks like you met the challenge.

John Thompson
01-12-2009, 6:34 PM
Very nice... take off the wheels and use it for a dresser. Then build another one for a tool chest and remember it is just a tool chest and doesn't have to look like it should go inside the house. :)

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
01-12-2009, 8:49 PM
I find the more furniture I make for our home the more tools that make it into my shop....

I agree with Sarge make another.
Making it will only be half the fun. The other half will be filling it...

Great job Dave. let us know how the next one looks.

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh man, that is SWEET! Very nice job!

And yea, make another one for the boss... ;)

Jason Tuinstra
01-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Dave, I remember getting that issue of Woodsmith and liking the look of the chest. You did a great job with it. Outstanding, in fact. I'm sure it will serve you well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dewey Torres
01-13-2009, 1:08 AM
Love the execution on this piece. Do you have any pics of the inside of the drawer part (side view joinery)?

John Eaton
01-13-2009, 6:19 AM
I thought about making one or maybe more of these but with drawers all the way down (bascially a dresser at that point). Good job on yours!

-- John

whit richardson
01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I agree nice job! Does she like it because it has a bit of a Mission style look? Heck give her that one and make another.

Just be ready when she asks for you to make a matching tables or high chest for her other clothes with your quote. "Sure honey.. that will cost one jointer and four new clamps." :D

Greg Cole
01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Just be ready when she asks for you to make a matching tables or high chest for her other clothes with your quote. "Sure honey.. that will cost one jointer and four new clamps." :D
Nice job on the tool dresser.:p Having good storage space realy helps with keeping the shop more "workable".
And I'd caution avoiding the above quoted pitfall if you can and buy what you need & can afford. If you have to bribe the lovely lady every time you buy something for your shop... there'll be alot of bribes in your future.:rolleyes:
Easy for me to say, as my wife never bats an eye.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Dave,

Very nicely done!

I'm toying with a need and desire to build something similar.

Jerry Olexa
01-13-2009, 8:07 PM
I know the feeling. I built a rolling toolchest of cherry which my spouse stated that it was "too good for my workshop". It now resides in our guest bedroom,:) Oh well....

whit richardson
01-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Hmmm.. guys maybe that would be a real starter business. Keep building tool chest that people have to have from you, sell one, start another, sell that start another....

Dennis Hook
01-17-2009, 8:54 PM
Hey Dave,
That is nice. I dig the thru tenions. Very nice job.

Russell Tribby
01-18-2009, 8:24 AM
Dave, great job. I'm not a big fan of oak but that looks superb. The through tenons really add to the piece. I've got to agree with your wife, that looks for like a dresser. I hope you have some nice chisels, planes, etc. to fill it up.