PDA

View Full Version : Ash vase with natural piercing

Bill Bolen
01-12-2009, 5:08 PM
This Ash vase was pierced by natures artist's...Bugs. I kept turning this thing down trying to get out of the bug damage and nearly turned it away. I was going to pitch it but changed my mind. This thing is a nice gauge for wall thickness without having to cut it in half! 8" X 6 3/4" with two coats of wipe on poly. I don't think I will even try and buff this. I kinda think it would end up thrown against the wall...Bill

alex carey
01-12-2009, 5:10 PM
I love it, great shape and cool grain. I personally like the holes.

alex

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 5:12 PM
Glad you didn't pitch it. That is a beauty and the bug holes just add to it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2009, 5:16 PM
Excellent vase William! Love all the character and think your finish looks perfect as is! Glad to see you were able to finish it - in one piece! Just never know how much wood the bugs leave you when you turn pieces like this! Very nice work! Congrats on a great looking vase!

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 5:23 PM
William, Nice look and love the bug holes!! Great finish too!

Jeff

Don Carter
01-12-2009, 7:04 PM
Bill:
Great looking vase. You don't need to do anything more. Glad you didn't chunk it.

All the best.

Don

David Christopher
01-12-2009, 7:37 PM
Great looking vase, glad you didnt pitch it

Randy Hoch
01-12-2009, 8:13 PM
This is great. Is it just me or have others seen ash with these colors? All my ash looks non-descript compared to this. Also, it looks like it's already been buffed! Isn't it great that these things get resurrected from the ash heap?? (Makes me think of the mythological Phoenix)
This kind of thing really appeals to me. Thanks for sharing - keep em coming!

Randy

Curt Fuller
01-12-2009, 8:47 PM
Nothing like a little help from the bugs! That's a nice one!

Jim Kountz
01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Now whos the really artist here Bill, you or the bugs!! ;-)
I vote for both of you!! Really nice job on this one glad you didnt throw it away!!

Ron Bontz
01-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Well if you are going to pitch it. Pitch it in the mail to my house with lots of padding. I'll put it in my case. I'll even fess up to who done it. Maybe:D

George Conklin
01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
A beautiful piece, indeed!
A classic form which you nailed the curves perfectly. The rim suites this piece just right. The bug holes are the icing in this cake.
Thanks for sharing. Your work is inspirational.