PDA

View Full Version : Introduction, and question

Randy Breeding
01-12-2009, 3:02 PM
Howdy all. Been lurking for a while now, an figured it was time to say hey. I have seen a few other hoosiers on these boards, an figured one more wouldnt hurt none. (Please forgive us, we are yankees, we cant help it..hahaha) It is time for me to move up from picture frames, and shelves to bigger an better (more challenging things). Thats what leads to the question. A ww show is coming to town soon, an a guy who works at the local borg tells me they will be selling rebuilt ridgid 13" thickness planers for $199.00. I like the price, dont mind a rebuild, but am wondering if anyone can tell about the quality of the TP1300LS. I have never owned, or used a planer, so I dont even have a clue how long I can expect the blades to last say for mostly red oak. I would also like to say thanks to all who take the time to post here. I have learned alot here, an hope to continue to do so. Everyone have a good day........Oh yeah, almost forgot. HEY SONNY.. Got two words for ya man...de-caf.hahaha c'yall

Greg Cole
01-12-2009, 4:29 PM
Hiya Randy.
Welcome to the Creek, pretty decent place all around & lotsa good stuff here.
In regards to that planer, I have had one for at least 3 years now. All I've ever done is adjust the in & outfeed tables and change knives. Runs like a champ, leaves a good surface in general.. but all lunch box planers are screamers. The family seems to dislike when I surface alot of stock.:confused:
I'd check to make sure its the version built by Emerson (it'll say on the box or name tag on the unit).
The only time I "complain" about the 1300LS I have is planing stock 10" wide or wider, it starts to bog even with a pretty light cut.. but whaddaya want for a lil planer?

Ted Shrader
01-12-2009, 6:06 PM
Randy -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

Sounds like you have done your research on the planer. I always keep a spare set of knives on hand for tools that use them . . . jointer, planer. You never know when one will get nick in it or whatever.

When you go to the woodworking show, take along a couple of woodworking catalogs. That way you will have a reference to check prices against. There are some occasional good deals at the shows, but mostly the shows are good for looking and touching.

Regards,
Ted

Rick Gooden
01-12-2009, 6:28 PM
Hi Randy, and welcome from another Hoosier, although I'm from the part that's not flat. Is the show in Indy? Although I don't have that planer, you can't go wrong at that price.