PDA

View Full Version : HD Satellite TV Connection

Eddie Watkins
01-12-2009, 1:13 PM
Last year a I upgraded to a HDTV satellite receiver from DishNetwork. The old receiver was set up to run the TV in two rooms with a splitter taking the signal to the other room after it came out of the receiver. When the installer was installing the new receiver he said I couldn't do that with the new receiver. I got a new TV after Christmas that is HD compatible and was wondering why I couldn't use a splitter to drive both TVs. I realize a stronger signal is needed to run HD digital but I don't plan on running both TVs at the same time. Why couldn't I drive two TVs off the same receiver if they weren't running at the same time? Could they run at the same time? I know it would be the same channel.

Tony Sade
01-12-2009, 2:22 PM
Not sure I can answer your precise question, Eddie, if what you're talking about is trying to run two TVs (one HD, one SD) off a single receiver. I just installed a Dish HD dual DVR/receiver in my house (to replace an older non-HD dual unit that got moved to another location to run two other non-HD TVs). The HD unit has one HD connection and one SD connection, although it appears you can record HD programming on either. (Haven't figured that one out yet.) So clearly, you can run two TVs and record programming in two locations with one receiver, provided it's one of the dual units.

On the older DVR/receiver, I do have a splitter that allows me to run two TVs from one of the two connections, but of course, neither is HD. There used to be a single receiver in this location and I used a splitter to run two different TVs off that unit as well.

Not sure I've helped here. Why not try it out with both TVs in the same room (to save having to do any big cabling job) and see what happens. You are right-you'll get the same signal to both TVs so unless you've got the kids brainwashed to enjoy the same type of shows on your hit list, it's unlikely you'll have both sets going at the same time. My "splitter" set up goes to one TV where I work out, and the other in the shop-both are in my domains so I don't have to please anyone.

Cheers,

Eddie Watkins
01-12-2009, 2:51 PM
Not sure I can answer your precise question, Eddie, if what you're talking about is trying to run two TVs (one HD, one SD) off a single receiver. I just installed a Dish HD dual DVR/receiver in my house (to replace an older non-HD dual unit that got moved to another location to run two other non-HD TVs). The HD unit has one HD connection and one SD connection, although it appears you can record HD programming on either. (Haven't figured that one out yet.) So clearly, you can run two TVs and record programming in two locations with one receiver, provided it's one of the dual units.

On the older DVR/receiver, I do have a splitter that allows me to run two TVs from one of the two connections, but of course, neither is HD. There used to be a single receiver in this location and I used a splitter to run two different TVs off that unit as well.

Not sure I've helped here. Why not try it out with both TVs in the same room (to save having to do any big cabling job) and see what happens. You are right-you'll get the same signal to both TVs so unless you've got the kids brainwashed to enjoy the same type of shows on your hit list, it's unlikely you'll have both sets going at the same time. My "splitter" set up goes to one TV where I work out, and the other in the shop-both are in my domains so I don't have to please anyone.

Cheers,
Thanks Tony, That is pretty much what I am trying to do. THe unit does not have DVR and only has a single receiver but I am just trying to be able to run a TV in one room or the other, not even both at the same time. I'll try it and see. The installer may have meant the signal ws not strong enough to run two TVs at the same time. Or it may have been an attempt to sell another receiver.

Eric DeSilva
01-12-2009, 3:32 PM
Not sure what the configuration you are using or want to use is, but the "input" for most HD televisions is either DVI or HDMI. I can see two problems... First, the signal is two ways--the box handshakes with the TV, so they talk to each other. That doesn't work well via a cheap splitter. There are some one-to-multiple HDMI boxes, but they aren't cheap--I used to run one made by Gefen.

The other issue is distance. Neither HDMI nor DVI like long cable runs. I think DVI is spec'd for max 15'. HDMI is longer, but not much longer.

Chris Padilla
01-12-2009, 3:47 PM
You need a splitter rated to run at the higher frequencies.

Remember, with a splitter, you are degrading the signal because there is loss in the splitter. Cheap splitters may have too much loss to work very well if at all.

I don't know if better splitters are available but likely they are.

I have Dish Network and I run 1 HD and 1 standard with 1 dual receiver. I then run another HD TV with another DVR but this one is a single reciever. So, in effect, I can have 3 different channels going at the same time along with all the myriad of combinations of recording and watching recordings. Crazy stuff but LOML really wanted her own TV for Christmas so she got it and her own satellite receiver. She is quite happy, I am quite happy, the family is quite happy! :D

Eddie Watkins
01-12-2009, 3:51 PM
Not sure what the configuration you are using or want to use is, but the "input" for most HD televisions is either DVI or HDMI. I can see two problems... First, the signal is two ways--the box handshakes with the TV, so they talk to each other. That doesn't work well via a cheap splitter. There are some one-to-multiple HDMI boxes, but they aren't cheap--I used to run one made by Gefen.

The other issue is distance. Neither HDMI nor DVI like long cable runs. I think DVI is spec'd for max 15'. HDMI is longer, but not much longer.
Eric, then you are saying it won't work without some expensive equipment to deal with the TV/ receiver interface. I have HDMI cabling now. What you are saing makes sense. I had coax on the old receivers which made splitting easy. With the new cables splitting becomes much more difficult.
Thanks

Pat Germain
01-12-2009, 4:32 PM
If your second TV were not HD, it would be easy. This is because Dish Network, and only Dish Network, has the ability to run two TVs from one box. I have this setup at my house and it works surprisingly well. In fact, you'd never know my second floor TV was using the same satellite box as the basement TV. This setup it is for two, non-HD TVs.

I also have a HD DVR which drives only one HDTV. Dish does have a HD DVR boxe which will run two TVs. I don't know if it will drive two HDTVs, or one HD and one non-HD.

It would be worth calling Dish tech support to find out what they can do for you. Hint: If they claim they can help you, but want to charge you big bucks for new boxes, tell them you want to cancel and sign up for their competitor who will give you new boxes for free (which they will). The attitude at Dish will change very dramatically in your favor.

I highly recommend getting a HD DVR box. You'll soon wonder how you ever did without a DVR. :)

Eddie Watkins
01-12-2009, 8:31 PM
Looking at the back of my receivers, none of them have HDMI or DVI connectivity. Three cable RCA connections or coax is all that is available. Maybe these are obsolete. I will call and see what the techies tell me.

Thanks

Pat Germain
01-12-2009, 9:44 PM
Eddie, if your satellite has no HDMI port, then it's not a HD box. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade. :)

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 9:59 PM
Eddie, if your satellite has no HDMI port, then it's not a HD box. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

Component connections are most certainly capable of carrying HD. While HDMI/DVI is preferable for a number of reasons, there is a lot of HD equipment out there that pre-dates them, especially when it comes to STBs. My older 30" Aquos TV doesn't have HDMI, for example.

-------

Eddie, prior to getting the HD, you were probably sending the signal to two rooms via COAX, correct? Can't do that with HD. It is possible to distribute component signals to more than one display (in essence what you want to do and what you see in the stores when all the screens have the same image), but it requires a bit more care than the old coax splitters...and a box to do it. May be easier and simpler to just get another STB for the second room... ;)

Eddie Watkins
01-12-2009, 10:33 PM
If your second TV were not HD, it would be easy. This is because Dish Network, and only Dish Network, has the ability to run two TVs from one box. I have this setup at my house and it works surprisingly well. In fact, you'd never know my second floor TV was using the same satellite box as the basement TV. This setup it is for two, non-HD TVs.

I also have a HD DVR which drives only one HDTV. Dish does have a HD DVR boxe which will run two TVs. I don't know if it will drive two HDTVs, or one HD and one non-HD.

It would be worth calling Dish tech support to find out what they can do for you. Hint: If they claim they can help you, but want to charge you big bucks for new boxes, tell them you want to cancel and sign up for their competitor who will give you new boxes for free (which they will). The attitude at Dish will change very dramatically in your favor.

I highly recommend getting a HD DVR box. You'll soon wonder how you ever did without a DVR. :)

Thanks all for your help. I ended up following Pat's recommedation and called DishNetwork. I told them what I was wanting to do and the guy recommended that I get a HD DVR box (of all things:rolleyes:) that will run one HD set and another SD set(s) that can be tied together. It costs $2 more per month for the HD receiver. They are even sending a guy out to install it.

Eddie Watkins
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Component connections are most certainly capable of carrying HD. While HDMI/DVI is preferable for a number of reasons, there is a lot of HD equipment out there that pre-dates them, especially when it comes to STBs. My older 30" Aquos TV doesn't have HDMI, for example.

-------

Eddie, prior to getting the HD, you were probably sending the signal to two rooms via COAX, correct? Can't do that with HD. It is possible to distribute component signals to more than one display (in essence what you want to do and what you see in the stores when all the screens have the same image), but it requires a bit more care than the old coax splitters...and a box to do it. May be easier and simpler to just get another STB for the second room... ;)
I was trying to watch an old VCR tape over the weekend and the player I have has a video hookup and a single post for audio so I am a little outdated here. :D

Sonny Edmonds
01-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I fixed all of my dish network problems when we switched over to DirecTV.

If anything gets hooey, I can log on and ultimately reset any or all of my boxes online by myself, for one example.

Dish is good, and we had it for a number of years. But it uses 2 different satellites for its programing. That was a problem for us with track in motion, and also for some of the channels when away from home. Dialing in on one, or another satellites, if I could.
The final straw was when I could not dial in any satellite service away from home, had to buy cable service at the campground, and found out about the two dual LNB thingy and satellites Dish uses. :mad:
Simply stated, their system wasn't set up for mobile customers. :(
I haven't had any trouble since moving to DirecTV.
YMMV, of course.
__________________________________________________ ___________

It was a balmy 110 degree day here and the eggs were frying nicely on the driveway when a knock came on the door. A young man in slacks and a white shirt from AT&T was here.... We brought him inside and gave him cold water and respite in the AC for a cool down.
We had declared war on AT&T about a week earlier because they had tried to switch us over to "The New AT&T", and totally FUBAR'd the system and my Internet access for 2 1/2 weeks.
Poor kid got a bit too much information to take back to his bosses at "The New AT&T".
All he wanted to do was to try and sell the new FiOS services...
I ask the guy if he had a cable that would reach from SoCal to the Colorado reever.
He didn't.
So I kept my satellite service. (I was going to anyway, but wanted to educate the boy on the fallacies of his company.) :D

Pat Germain
01-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Eddie's description didn't mention any component connections. I've never seen component connections on a satellite box, but now that you mention it, Jim, I guess it's certainly a possibility. :)

Glad I could help, Eddie.

Jim Becker
01-13-2009, 8:40 PM
I was trying to watch an old VCR tape over the weekend and the player I have has a video hookup and a single post for audio so I am a little outdated here.

That be "composite" rather than "component". You need to start watching WordGirl on PBS in the morning!!!! LOL :D :D :D

Jim Becker
01-13-2009, 8:43 PM
We had declared war on AT&T about a week earlier because they had tried to switch us over to "The New AT&T", and totally FUBAR'd the system and my Internet access for 2 1/2 weeks.
Poor kid got a bit too much information to take back to his bosses at "The New AT&T".
All he wanted to do was to try and sell the new FiOS services...

FiOS is a Verizon offer and is fiber to the prem. ATT's (less capable) offer is U-Verse and is VDSL except in a very few greenfield communities where they did lay fiber...but still limit the bandwidth to VDSL speeds.