PDA

View Full Version : First project

Randy Rose
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Hopefully, I`ve attached photos of my Mission style bed project. Oak with simple inlays of walnut and brass. First project of any size, first M/T joints etc. Overall, I`m proud of the results and learned a lot. S.M.C. is a great resource for woodworkers of all skill levels.:)

Matt Crew
01-12-2009, 1:17 PM
Looks mighty fine, very nice work.
Wish my first project had turned out that nice.

Jason Tuinstra
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
First project? Man, thats quite the first project. It looks great. Maybe you could explain how you covered the end grain with the walnut pieces - I think that's what you did. I can't exactly tell. My concern would be that this wouldn't stay on very well due to wood movement. I don't know if you took this into consideration. Just a thought.

Have fun and be sure to show us the finished project!

Dewey Torres
01-13-2009, 12:56 AM
More pics please!!!!

Creekers (IE me) love pics and lots. I am afraid your first was WWWWAAAAAYYYY better than mine:o

The fact that you tackled inlay right off make me proud for sure:D

Ah but you don't care if I am proud:rolleyes:.

I have a Morris chair that I am finishing which will include inlays with wood and metal as well. See my album for a sneak peak.

Randy Rose
01-13-2009, 6:24 AM
Maybe you could explain how you covered the end grain with the walnut pieces - I think that's what you did. I can't exactly tell. My concern would be that this wouldn't stay on very well due to wood movement. I don't know if you took this into consideration.

The end caps have shallow holes filled with construction adhesive and simply "glued" on to cover the ends of the walnut and brass. Hope this doesn`t mean they`re going to fall off later ! Because, I never even considered wood movement ! Thanks for the kind words.

Randy Rose
01-13-2009, 6:49 AM
hope this works.

Joe Chritz
01-13-2009, 7:03 AM
Looks good. Very similar to mine only I didn't think enough to do the inlays. That is a nice touch.

ETA: Just saw the last post. The wood movement on something that small shouldn't (key word shouldn't) be a huge issue. Attaching the cap like a breadboard would have been best but if they do pop off you could always add a loose tenon and reattach. All those spindles are a treat to get glued aren't they?

Joe

Ed Sallee
01-13-2009, 7:29 AM
I love it!!! The brass inlays totally set it off, IMO.... Very elegent contrast. Hope ya don't mind....I'm gonna use the brass idea somewhere in the very near future. Where'd you get the brass strips?

Randy Rose
01-13-2009, 8:52 AM
I love it!!! The brass inlays totally set it off, IMO.... Very elegent contrast. Hope ya don't mind....I'm gonna use the brass idea somewhere in the very near future. Where'd you get the brass strips?

WWW.speedymetals.com (http://www.speedymetals.com) Lot`s of choices and fast service. Just make sure that you order everything you need at once as the shipping seems high, esp on a small order. Paid $18 shipping for 12 lbs, then $15 for 2lbs!
But, I had to have it..:)

GERALD HARGROVE
01-13-2009, 9:59 AM
Very nice looking bed, for a 100th project. For your fist project, you did a great job. Send more pics as you finish.

Gerald

John Thompson
01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Nicely done, Randy. I will join Joe on not being overly concerned on the wood movement with what you did. There are no gaurantee's but.. I don't fret too much using small widths as I would with a table-top. etc.

Sarge..

Jason Tuinstra
01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Randy, looks good! I couldn't really tell from the initial picture. I wasn't trying to make you anxious or anything ;) The brass is quite the addition! Very cool contrast. Does this mean that on top of dusting the bed, you'll have to do an annual Brasso application? Kidding! Blessings!

Carroll Courtney
01-13-2009, 4:44 PM
Dang!Randy,you should be proud.Love that oak,very nice inlay work.Just curious,what tool did you use to make all the mortise's?Router,bench mortiser,chisel? Nicely done---Carroll

Randy Rose
01-13-2009, 5:04 PM
Dang!Randy,you should be proud.Love that oak,very nice inlay work.Just curious,what tool did you use to make all the mortise's?Router,bench mortiser,chisel? Nicely done---Carroll

Thanks! used a S/C #25200 bench mortiser, having never made a mortise and with 140 to "do", I bit the bullet and bought a machine. Don`t have the skill or the patience to even consider doing it by hand. (No disrespect to you " neanderthals" !)

John Keeton
01-13-2009, 7:50 PM
Nice job Randy! I would think the adhesive on the endcaps would flex enough to accomodate any wood movement. Although, it is possible that from season to season you may notice some slight reveal one way or the other between the endcap and the top cap. Overall, very consuming project! What is the finishing schedule?

Randy Rose
01-13-2009, 8:28 PM
Nice job Randy! What is the finishing schedule?

For this newbie the finishing schedule begins and ends with Watco oil !
and actually I applied two coats prior to assembly. I guess it doesn`t show in the pics or was a poor choice but it`s finished now.:o I`m going to practice more joinery before I even attempt the mysteries of advanced finishes:eek:

John Keeton
01-13-2009, 9:00 PM
Not a bad choice at all, and certainly a wise decision to "prefinish" with all those hard to reach spindles.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-20-2009, 7:33 AM
I'd say that you're a mortise and tenon expert now. Be sure to post pics when done. I will be looking forward to seeing them.
-Jeff :)

Brian W Evans
02-21-2009, 5:22 PM
WWW.speedymetals.com (http://www.speedymetals.com) Lot`s of choices and fast service. Just make sure that you order everything you need at once as the shipping seems high, esp on a small order. Paid $18 shipping for 12 lbs, then $15 for 2lbs!
But, I had to have it..:)

I've used these guys before as well. IIRC, the shipping goes down the more you order (the first few items were $17 or so for shipping, the fourth was like $6, the fifth, sixth, etc., were $2, some were $0). So, follow Randy's advice and order lots of stuff. The metal itself is very cheap. I think I own a lifetime supply of brass and copper rods in various sizes, which I use for making integral hinges in boxes (a la Doug Stowe). Cost me about $75, including shipping.

Karen Wagner
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I`m going to practice more joinery before I even attempt the mysteries of advanced finishes:eek:

Attempt??? All the work that went into your piece, all the research to know HOW to do it (quite different than actually doing it!) and your patience and perseverence - that is truly amazing! I'm just beginning woodworking / construction and am truly humbled. It will be years before I could ever tackle a project with so many details.

I'll be really happy if I can make a box that is square - and even a lid to go on it!!! Keeping the pieces together (holding/clamping) is my greatest challenge. Small hands/arms do not help.

Congratulations!

Brad Wood
03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Nice.

It really chaps my hide when I see posts like this... "first project"... and it is something outstanding like this.
I guess it comes naturally to some folks... not me :(

JOHN BRODERICK
03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Exceptional piece of work and craftsmanship!

John.

Don Bullock
03-05-2009, 5:29 PM
Randy that sure is a great looking bed. For your "first project" you went all out with your effort and it seems that you succeeded. I'd love to see pictures when it's all finished.