PDA

View Full Version : Monster Captured System

Burt Alcantara
01-12-2009, 11:34 AM
What's the biggest hollow form you've turned with this system. I will be turning a 10" vessel and am wondering if the system can handle it.

The reason I ask is I have the articulated arm and I doubt it would work because of vibration. I could be wrong and I'd like some input on this.

Thanks,
Burt

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Burt, this is the biggest that I have turned so far: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81348

I used the captured system on that form and remember it being a little chatty. If you are going to do a form that is 10" deep, I would think you would be really pushing it with the articulated arm system and right on (if not over) the borderline of the captured system. A lot would depend on what shape you plan on turning and whether or not you can get a tool rest inserted into the hollow form opening.

Burt Alcantara
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Steve,
I love that form. It is a classic. The kind of forms I'm doing are fat around the middle with generous openings. Eventually, I'd like to get down to the shape you're doing but I don't have that skill yet.

My last turning was about 7" and I had to go very slowly and lightly to avoid chatter. Felt like an eternity to get the wood out. With that behind me I became concerned about going to 10".

Ideally, I'd like to get a system with a 1" boring bar so I can go big if I desire.

Thanks,
Burt

Bill Bolen
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
I made and installed a 3/4" dia X15" long boring bar/bit holder on my articulated system and reach 12" with not much vibration. ..Bill..

Reed Gray
01-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I think that depth would max out the Monster. I had an adapter made for mine so I could use my Kelton hollowers. The 3/4 one with a long arm was just too long for the system, and would vibrate. The 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch ones work fine. Take a piece of end grain in your chuck or whatever, and set it out at 10 inches and see how it cuts before you try a hf that deep.
robo hippy

Burt Alcantara
01-12-2009, 3:31 PM
Reed,
That's a good idea. BTW, the Stubby does coring. I joined the Stubby group on yahoo and there are a number of turners there that use McN and others.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 5:03 PM
I have the monster system and have the adaptor for the 5/8" Keltons. I have did just one 12 1/2" in depth with a slight amount of chatter if I took heavy cuts. Light cuts and it was fine.