PDA

View Full Version : Pen kits

Richard Chan
01-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Everyone

I just started to turn for the first time 2 weeks ago and made a pen. But pen kits at stores are kind of expensive when you screw them up:D. For practice ,does anyone have a cheap(cost wise) source for pens or other little turning stuff for practice?

Thanks

Richard

Paul Douglass
01-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Woodturingz.com has about the cheapest kits. I think he resales PSI kits. You call also buy parts like the transmitions and tubes. Great service.

David Walser
01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Richard,

Welcome to the wonderful world of making things round. The PSI kits recommended to you are good to practice on. So, too, are the "Apprentice" line of kits available from Craft Supplies USA. These kits start at $1.65 for a "slim line" pen and go all the way up to $3.99 for the Apprentice "Classica" (CSUSA's version of the Sierra pen). The folks at CSUSA are great to work with. Here's a link:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Apprentice_Pen_Kits___Apprentice_Clas sica_Pen_Kit___app_classica?Args=

Here's a link to Woodturningz (where you can get the PSI kits): http://www.woodturningz.com/Slimline_Pen_Kits.aspx The folks at Woodturningz are great to work with, too. Note: The cheapest version of the PSI slim line kit is $1.70. Which supplier will be more expensive will depend on shipping.

Another option is Arizona Silhouette. Bill has a slim line kit with chrome plating (which is more durable than the 24kt gold plating on the kits linked to above) for $1.75. Bill, too, is great to work with. His 24kt kit is the same price. He asks that you order these kits in multiples of 5, since that's the way they are packaged. Here's the linky thing:

http://www.arizonasilhouetteinc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1828

Hope this helps!

Steve Mawson
01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I believe Woodturninz has a sale on through the 19th. Takes $5.00 off any order which will pay the shipping. Usually includes a magazine copy with each order during the sale also. The only catch is that you must call in the order but that is no problem. If they are on the phone leave your number and they will call you back.

Richard Chan
01-12-2009, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the information I'll make sure to scan throught their site.

Dustin Cranford
01-12-2009, 2:14 PM
Also anything that is sold in the PSI catalog Woodturnigz sells cheaper. They can get anything in the catalog.

Grant Wilkinson
01-12-2009, 2:22 PM
Richard: If you are "screwing up" when you are turning the blank, you may want to simply turn the blank completely off and simply glue on another one. You can also buy spare tubes if you don't want to re-use them.

Richard Chan
01-12-2009, 2:27 PM
Stupid question, But how will I mount the pen blanks without the tubes glued?

Tim Leiter
01-12-2009, 3:22 PM
Richard,
I believe he means that if the blank is ruined you can simply turn it off while it is on the lathe, thus salvaging the tube. You can then use the tube in a new blank.

Richard Chan
01-12-2009, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification.