PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a wall mural

Tom Cullen
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Could someone advise me how to best hang ( place ) a wall mural. The mural consists of 6, 12 inch tiles two broad and three long with no grout tabs. I want to place it on my living room wall and was thinking about using silicone but was worried about the weight ? I also wondered if the little plastic holders you see on some bathroom mirrors would work? you know .... the ones that go to each corner of an unframed mirror.

Thanks
Tom

Pete Simmons
01-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I mount my tiles on a thin piece of plywood with something like liquid nails.

Then I use a french cleat ( just 2 thin strips of Oak with an angle cut edge) to hang it on the wall.

Joe Pelonio
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I mount my tiles on a thin piece of plywood with something like liquid nails.

Then I use a french cleat ( just 2 thin strips of Oak with an angle cut edge) to hang it on the wall.
That's a good method, also allows for removal with minimal damage. If you are not concerned about that, then you could use liquid nails, but I'd suggest a molding around it, perhaps quarter round, which will conceal the bare edges decoratively while the bottom will hold some of the eight until the adhesive sets up.

Tom Cullen
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guy's, I think the backing and glue is the way to go , along with some butterfly screws. I would like to make it removable.

Again Thanks