PDA

View Full Version : Square stock tenon problems

Quinn McCarthy
01-12-2009, 9:58 AM
I need to make some square stock tenons on some spindles I am turning. Each spindle needs a tenon on one end and a pommel and ball on the other. I have done a bunch with round stock without a problem. I usually use a 3/8" bedan but with the square corners the wood is tearing out at the corners. So I switched to a 1/8"parting tool. That was better but still didn't like the quality. There was still a little tear out on the corners. The wood is hard maple. Is there a way to get this done cleanly? Would a thinner parting tool or skew help? Would a higher spindle speed help?

Thank you in advance.

Quinn

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Quinn I hope I can explain this. I use a skew to make a cut first with the long point down. I just start with a light cut. Then I use a bedan tool to cut my tenons on square stock. The cut the skew makes keeps it from tearing the corners.

Thomas Minehan
01-12-2009, 12:03 PM
This adds a step to the process but has worked for me. Layout the tenon and then use a fine tooth saw to start the cut on the corners.

Quinn McCarthy
01-12-2009, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the great ideas. I will give them a try tonight. So let me get this straight. The skew is vertical with the long point down. You gently score the mark as you move the skew in.

Thanks

Quinn

Quinn McCarthy
01-12-2009, 9:41 PM
Bernie and Thomas,

Both methods worked just great.

Thanks much.

Quinn