PDA

View Full Version : blast gate for root cellar

Randy Cohen
01-12-2009, 9:43 AM
I have some blast gate questions and since many of you use them for your dust collection systems I think I'm asking the right group.
I am building a root cellar for my basement and the design calls for using 3" or 4" PVC pipe to create an air siphon system. It is recommended that blast gates be installed so that it doesn't get too cold in the root cellar. I've read that aluminum blast gates are more durable than plastic ones. Is that true? How do you attach them to PVC pipe? Are there motorized blast gates available that can be activated by a thermostat control so they would close when the temperature in the root cellar reaches 32 degrees and then open when more cold air is needed? I only need 2 gates. Where do you buy them?

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Randy,

Just make your own blast gates.
Buy your 3 plates of 1/8" AL and cut the middle one in a shape like a horseshoe and be sure to come in at least 1" from each side. That will be your opening and closing gate. How do you attach that to your PVC? Use an HVAC flange that will screw right to your top AL plate.

I have blast gates that I made 3 years ago out of 3/4" plywood sealed with shellac with 1/4" ply at the moving gate. Never had any problems at all with any of my gates.

Blast gates have been made from plastic, steel, Aluminum, wood, hardboard, or pretty much anything someone wanted to use. Now for opening and closing automatically? You need to wait for someone else here to answer that question. I operate all mine manually. :)

Tom Veatch
01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
... Are there motorized blast gates available that can be activated by a thermostat control so they would close when the temperature in the root cellar reaches 32 degrees and then open when more cold air is needed? I only need 2 gates. Where do you buy them?

I made my own motorized gates using solenoids from Grainger and ideas from here on SMC and in Woodwork Magazine. There are motorized gates commercially available that could be incorporated in a thermostatically controlled system. Google "Ecogate".