PDA

View Full Version : Change over to VS on any lathe !

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:12 AM
Well I thought is was time to show everyone how I did my change over to VS on my first lathe. It had a varible pulley drive on it when I got it and it always seemed to get gummed up no matter what I did to keep it free and adjusting correctly. So I looked for a VFD (Variable Frequency drive ) and a 1hp 3 phase motor to change to. So here are the pics and info on what I used:

First I went to Surplus center http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009011206443067&item=10-104-347&catname=electric I think this is the same motor I have and it works great! There are tons of different ones so you can make the choice! And for under $40 for the motor you can't go wrong! I got all the pulleys and belts locally with no trouble.

Then the Vfd was ordered and here is the one I have: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.193/.f?category=30
Here is a link to where I have found the least expensive price for it!
There may be better but this is a great price!

Once you have all the parts it is just up to you how you want to put it all together. Mounting the motor and Vfd are simple and the instructions on the Vfd are very straight forward. I have a box with a poteniometer in it for the speed control. I can't remember the exact one but easy to get. You can also hook up a reverse switch or get DPDT toggle switch so you need only one. The pulleys can be changed and rearranged to give you what you think is the perfect speeds for you, also the Vfd can be over clocked to give you more speed. What this does is let you increase the hertz from 60 to around 90. This does not harm any thing as that is what it made to do.

The Vfd that I show above is for a 115volt single phase circuit, the Vfd will convert the 115v to 230v 3 phase to drive the motor. I have been using this setup for over 3 years with out a bit of trouble! In the picture what you see on the Vfd is the hertz the motor is running at the higher the # the faster the speed. I have never figured out what speed relates to what hertz but you could get a laser tachometer and find out so you would know for sure. I just turn the knob and set the speed where I am happy!

If you have any questions let me know I will help the best I can!
There is a gaurd for the belts but I took it off for the pics, no worries!

Thanks,

Jeff

Peter Lamb
01-12-2009, 9:06 AM
I have been working on this same project for some time. Continuing research, still studying. Trying to get low rpms, 50. Constant torque up to about 2500 rpms and as you say ability to reverse. It appears you have have found the solution at a "rational" price on a very old Delta 46-305
Thanks
P Lamb

Bernie Weishapl
01-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Great setup. Looks like it does the job. Well done.

alex carey
01-12-2009, 4:55 PM
Very nice, do you have schooling in this area or you just did some research and figured it all out?

How hard is it?

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 5:17 PM
I was an electronics repair person in the military for a while then changed to the intelligence field. I have been building and researching things my whole life. I will try and make it or find the equipment to do what I need done without haveing to hire someone to do it for me! I can rebuild cars, build house, weld everything from plastic to stainless, aluminum, titanium and cast iron. My next venture is a CNC router table that is almost ready to be put together. I just built the computer and have been getting familiar with all the programs needed to run it!

So I guess my schooling has been learned along the way, because I am cheap!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 5:21 PM
The motor I linked to above is not the same as I have, I must have chosen it my looks alone. Surplus center has such a great turnover that every day there might be different things than the day before! There are some listed that would work with the 220v/208/230v label. Some are 1.5hp so you would need to get the next step up in the Vfd. there are other companies that make them, but the TECO is good and inexpensive!

Hope I did not confuse more than the people who have PM'd me already!!

I thought I was darn near perfect but the LOML reminds me that she is the perfect one! AIN'T LOVE GRAND!!

Jeff

Matt Ranum
01-12-2009, 6:06 PM
Whats the advantage/disadvantage to doing this as opposed to going with a DC variable drive? I've been looking at going that route.

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 9:16 PM
I think it would be cost. Here is a good controler: http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=7010000

There are cheaper ones that don't have all the controls on the panel so you would have to get all that then and a box to put it in. Also most decent 1 -2hp dc motors are over $100. You can do it with a treadmill motor and controller but it may not do what you want. Do some looking and you will see the Vfd and 3ph motor is a much cheaper way to go. The DC motors have torque at all speeds but you pay for it! Here is a good motor not a cheapo treadmill motor and this is what you would need to do it right! http://www.emotorstore.com/productdetail.asp_Q_catID_E_23_A_subCatID_E_357_A_ productID_E_698_A_skuID_E_31804
It all comes down to money! I already looked into the whole thing. If you can get a 2-3 hp treadmill and all the controls work and tear it apart and make it work then you may have something, but you will still pay over $200 for a good used treadmill that would do the job.

Jeff

Larry Edgerton
01-13-2009, 6:00 PM
I just ordered a FM 50 for an old Brodhead Garrett from Factorymation. Nice bunch, and very helpfull. I'll see if I can wire it when it gets here.

I've had the lathe around a long time but I would have to run my 50hp phase converter to run it so it just sat in the corner. Work is slow so I figure it is time to learn how to make round stuff.

I'm excited......

Matt Ranum
01-13-2009, 7:27 PM
I think it would be cost. Here is a good controler: http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=7010000

There are cheaper ones that don't have all the controls on the panel so you would have to get all that then and a box to put it in. Also most decent 1 -2hp dc motors are over $100. You can do it with a treadmill motor and controller but it may not do what you want. Do some looking and you will see the Vfd and 3ph motor is a much cheaper way to go. The DC motors have torque at all speeds but you pay for it! Here is a good motor not a cheapo treadmill motor and this is what you would need to do it right! http://www.emotorstore.com/productdetail.asp_Q_catID_E_23_A_subCatID_E_357_A_ productID_E_698_A_skuID_E_31804
It all comes down to money! I already looked into the whole thing. If you can get a 2-3 hp treadmill and all the controls work and tear it apart and make it work then you may have something, but you will still pay over $200 for a good used treadmill that would do the job.

Jeff

Thanks for the info!

Bob Vavricka
01-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Jeff, I have some questions about your modification. What size pulley did you use on the motor and lathe? The pulley on the lathe isn't visible in your pictures. I was thinking about using the original variable pitch pulley on the headstock and trying to work out a way where the pulley ratio could be varied--would have to work out how to maintain belt tension. Or, in you experience do you get all the speed control you need with the vfd? Thanks for sharing how you approached this.
Bob

Jim Koepke
01-16-2009, 3:16 AM
My problem besides not having a lot of money is the current limit in my shop.

Can one get variable speed out of a 1/3 horse?

How about single phase?

Maybe more pulleys would be the cheap way for me.

jim

Jeff Nicol
01-16-2009, 7:38 AM
Bob-- The pulley on the spindle is 3" dia and the one on the motor is 2 3/8" (smallest I could get in town) The motor is a 3450 rpm so I put a smaller pulley there. Buy changing the pulley configuration I think the amount of torque changes to the spindle, a bigger pulley at the motor compared to the spindle will give you more power at lower RPM.

Jim-- The trouble with a 1/3 hp motor is the fact that it a 1/3 hp motor! You would not have much torque with out some mechanical advantage being implemented such as a gear box. Then the higher speeds would suffer. There are motor controlers out there for AC motors also but they are not for just any AC motor. They make AC motors that are specificially designed to be used in variable speed situations, but they are pricey!
I think your best bet would be the treadmill motor and control swap. If you could find a 2-3hp used treadmill that had all the parts intact this would work for you. Do some research and see what would work for you.

Hope it helps,

Jeff