PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing tools - can't remember the name?

Scott Conners
01-12-2009, 1:04 AM
A couple of days ago I came across a turner's website, and happened to notice he made and sold hollowing tools. They were black shanked tools, one straight boring bar and one swan neck, with a smoothly tapered tip. They held a cutting tip that is similar to a 1/4" machinists bit, but the part of the bit that went into the tool was round. The holding mechanism wasn't readily visible from the top of the tool, I think it was a set screw on the underside. I think they had 5/8" shafts, and I remember the site's description discussing how he had used these tools for years and finally he and his wife had acquired the tooling to produce tools for sale. I also remember the background of the site was predominantly black.

If anyone can identify this tool or website, I'd love to find it again. I thought I had bookmarked it but a browser crash may have closed the tab before I had it saved.

David Peebles
01-12-2009, 1:27 AM
Hi Scott,

I believe that may be my friend John Jordan. He is a great turner and sells some wonderful tools. I took my first bowl turning class from him. It shortened my learning curve by many years.

http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/John_Jordan_Woodturning/Tools.html

Best wishes,
Dave

Scott Conners
01-12-2009, 2:27 AM
Those are the ones! It always amazes me how quickly questions get answered on here =)

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, John Jordan's tools are black. Trent Bosch's are gray. Etc. While they can be used in an arm support, most folks use them in captive systems. I use the Bosch bars in my Jamison captive system, for example.