PDA

View Full Version : Air Die Grinder suggestion

Doug Mason
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm thinking of getting an air die grinder instead of a Dremel. I'll be using it mostly for working on my tools. Any suggestions?

thx

Sonny Edmonds
01-12-2009, 1:21 AM
Depends on what you want it to do.
I have several air tools in my shop I use for sanding, or engraving.
I have a straight die grinder (1/4" chuck), a right angle, and a itty bitty high speed one that is rated up to 400,000 RPM's.
You'll need a substantial air compressor to keep things hoofin right along.
I use a lot of air tools and have a big upright 2 stage oiled compressor. It has no trouble keeping up and passing my biggest air tools.

Steve H Graham
01-12-2009, 8:19 AM
I'd say make sure you get something that won't just duplicate the Dremel's performance while adding the aggravation of turning on a compressor. I got a Sunex pencil grinder, largely out of curiosity. It's about the size of Dremel. I also have a Wecheer flex tool and a Proxxon. A Proxxon is similar to a Dremel. The Sunex has only been out of the box once or twice. Seems like a fine tool, and it really flies, but the Proxxon and Wecheer are much more convenient to use.

Ben Franz
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Northern Tool always seems to have a lot of air tools on closeout or clearance sale. I got an Ingersoll Rand straight grinder for about half price last year. You might want to try one out if you haven't used one before - the safety paddle switch (?) takes some getting used to.

Joe Jensen
01-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I have a Husky 1/4" die grinder that I will sell you for $10 plus actual shipping. I used it once.

Jeff Willard
01-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Thought about a Foredom? With all of the Dremels I've burned up, I could have two of 'em and still be $$$ ahead.

Mike Heidrick
01-13-2009, 1:17 AM
I have a little Chicago Pneumatic CPT863 120 degree angle 1/4" die grinder with variable speed that I really like.

http://www.aislebuyaisle.com/images/CPT863.jpg

Ed Labadie
01-13-2009, 8:00 AM
I have a little Chicago Pneumatic CPT863 120 degree angle 1/4" die grinder with variable speed that I really like.

http://www.aislebuyaisle.com/images/CPT863.jpg

I've got 3 or 4 die grinders rolling around my toolbox.....this one gets the most use. Excellent tool!

Ed