PDA

View Full Version : Best solution for a sump pump check valve

Dan Mages
01-12-2009, 12:51 AM
I just had a check valve separate from the drain pipe. I think vibration over time caused the screw clamp to loosen up. As a result, I now have replace the flooring in the lower level of the house and an our or so in a tight, cramped crawl space installing insulation and vapor barriers.

What is the best solution for a check valve on sump pump? I have seen rubber units with band clamps and PVC units with glue on one end and compression fittings on the other. Secondly, what is the best way to prevent this from ever coming undone? A few drops of thread lock or some pipe dope on the threads?

Thanks,

Dan :(

Rob Russell
01-12-2009, 8:09 AM
When we bought our current house, it had a sump pump in the basement. We didn't think too much about it - both of our parents' places had the same thing growing up.

When the pump died and I had to replace it, I put a check valve in. I used the rubber "furnco" fittings on each end with the standard radiator hose clamps. I never had a problem until the pipe outside the house froze solid and the pump pressure literally blew the fitting off.

I think the biggest thing is to reduce the vibration reaching the check valve. We had replaced the original pedastal style pump with a Mighty-Mite submersible sump pump. That MM was quiet and smooth - far smoother than what it replaced - so I doubt that vibration would have been an issue for us long term. You could consider using a section of runner hose to conect from the pump to the check valve as a way to reduce vibration if you need to.

A few years after we put the sump pump in, we dug a trench that runs from the sump down to the street and put in a pipe. That pipe is now a gravity feed drain that empties into the storm sewer in the street. We haven't had a sump pump since then (actually filled in the corner of the basement with concrete and a cleanout) and also don't have to worry about water backing up into the house if the power goes out for any extended of period of time.

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Those rubber Fernco fitting should be very helpful with reducing vibration I would think...

Prashun Patel
01-12-2009, 11:23 AM
You might put this question on TerryLove.com.

It's hard to stop a check valve from banging shut. It's just par for the course. IMHO, yr best off using good bracing and strapping.

If it were me, I'd use a full swing pvc check valve with threaded compression adapters on both ends. This makes it easy to disassemble if necessary. Also, you might consider installing a gate valve just north of the cv also, so if you need to disassemble, you can turn off the gv and avoid the falling column of water.

I used pipe dope on the cv from my sewage ejector pit. Seals nice and prevents the threads from seizing.