PDA

View Full Version : Lathe stand and first turning pics

David Gunn
01-11-2009, 9:50 PM
I searched this and a few other forums for stand ideas. I could not settle on anything for sure. I did not see a lot of pics with minis with an extension. Just 2x4s and a 1-1/2 inch ply top. I made the top extend two inches past the base to be able to access the lathe better. I put a couple of screws through the base to the wall to keep it from tipping forward. I don't think it would have, but I just wanted to be sure. I plan on putting a cabinet in the bottom of the stand. Once I figure out exactly what I need as far as storage.
I knew I couldn't post a nice clean lathe and stand, so I turned a handle for my pen mill. I had know plan going in. I just wanted to learn a little bit about what my different turning tools did. I should have turned the end that mounts to the pen mill down the the same diameter, but hey I'm learning. It has no finish and was only sanding a little. It works for its purpose.
Now I need to finish my grinder stand and sharpening jig.

All comments and critics welcome.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/lathestand001.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/lathestand002.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/lathestand003.jpg

Steve Mawson
01-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd say you are off to a great start.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Great looking setup and looks like you are off to a super start.

David Christopher
01-11-2009, 10:17 PM
good looking setup and good job on the handle. keep on turning and post pics

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
That's quite the bench David! Looks fairly bomb proof! Good looking handle! I've been turning for 4 years now and I have yet to turn a handle......so you are way ahead of me in that department! Have fun with your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some more of your work real soon!

Jim Kountz
01-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Up and running now arent you!! Good looking setup.

Steve, never not even one handle yet?? I have a few dozen or so I can send you!! May not want them though as most were "practice bonkers"!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the offer Jim but I used to have a lot of bonkers. Drilled a hole in one end and now they are candle holders! But, really, haven't turned a handle yet.

Billy Tallant
01-12-2009, 1:02 AM
Great looking setup. I've got the same identical lathe except when I purchased mine it came with a metal stand. I really debated on building a wood table to mount mine to instead of the metal stand. I like your setup with the option of building the cabinets. Gives you more storage without wasting space. Nice job on the handle also...

Dewey Torres
01-12-2009, 1:09 AM
Dave,
I am going to begin the journey of turning soon and may wind up with a similar lathe. It is folks like you who really make a post worth wild for new turners. Thanks!:)

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 7:02 AM
Steve, I can't believe no handles!!! I think I turn one once a week! But I am always making more tools and can't seem to find an end!!!

Handles are fun!!!!

Dave, nice bench and keep on turning!

Jeff

Sean Troy
01-12-2009, 7:51 AM
Well done. Just be careful the lathe is not running when reaching over to get a tool.

Clem Wixted
01-12-2009, 5:19 PM
David, You sure do some nice fast flatwork.

Really consider what Sean said about reaching over a spinning lathe.

Clem

Randy Schaffer
01-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I am going to have to build a stand for my lathe very soon as my workbench is way to high for it.

How high did you make the stand alone? Did you go with the spindle centre at elbow height?

I was going to do an A-frame....one illustrated in one of Raffen's books. It seems way overkill for my 1220 though.

David Gunn
01-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the comments. The dimensions are 60" wide, 28-1/2" high, and the top is 18" deep. I built it so my elbow would be at the same height as the centers. Now I need to build a nice wide platform for my son. He is so excited about making his own pen. He was wearing his face shield around the house last just to get used to wearing one.

Randy Schaffer
01-13-2009, 1:19 PM
Thanks for those dimensions. I know flat work is a touchy subject here in round haven, but got to have a good bench.

I was going to do 2--4x4's for the top with a 4" gap between them so the chips would drop through. I am not sure it really is worth that effort though. The 1.5" plywood top looks great and is easier to keep level.

Billy Tallant
01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Randy,

My two cents only, so take it at that. I'm new to turning but have been busy making pens for the last few weeks. Forget the 4x4 idea, & go with the full table. You're going to have chips everywhere. I keep my airhose near me. When the lathe or myself get too covered with chips/dust, I just blow it off.

Richard Beuker
01-14-2009, 9:17 AM
Nice table and it looks strong. How did you keep the handle on the pen mill when you have to change pilots for diff. pens? I want to make a handle but am a little stuck with this part. I can make it out of steel but I would like wood.

David Gunn
01-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Richard,

this is the only pen mill I have. There are no other pilots with it. This one only does 7mm pens. The barrel trimmer part is replaceable, but the pilot is all one piece, with a threaded part that goes into the handle. I guess down the road, when I make bigger pens, I will just make additional handles for each pen mill I get.

Maybe someone here can answer you better, because I am brand new to this too.

Randy Schaffer
01-14-2009, 1:55 PM
Randy,

My two cents only, so take it at that. I'm new to turning but have been busy making pens for the last few weeks. Forget the 4x4 idea, & go with the full table. You're going to have chips everywhere. I keep my airhose near me. When the lathe or myself get too covered with chips/dust, I just blow it off.

Thanks Billy. The solid ply top is definately easier. I don't have an air hose though. I definately like the look and size of this table by David.