PDA

View Full Version : Chess/Checker board

Patrick Nailon
01-11-2009, 9:50 PM
My daughter has fallen in love with playing checkers and now chess (she's 5 years old!). I saw this plan in Woodsmith and thought it looked pretty good. I changed a couple of things - instead of solid walnut for the case and base, I used figured maple for the case and cherry for the base.

I learned a couple of things in doing this - one, that my TS blade isn't level to the fence, and two that I need some practice with mortising things. I usually hand mortise nearly everything, both to get the practice and because setting up the router and making a template and having to do multiple passes to get the depth - who needs all that? Takes about as much time as hammer and chisel!

Oh, and I also learned don't pony up $30 for a pair of jewelry box hinges until you're good enough with hinge mortises!

Anyway, here's the checkerboard, and next I start work on the card case for my friend turning 90 next month (but that's another thread...).

gary Zimmel
01-11-2009, 9:56 PM
Patrick

Your daughter must of had a smile on her face from ear to ear....

Great job.

Joe Chritz
01-12-2009, 2:37 AM
Very nice.

I do the opposite on mortises. Who needs a hammer and chisel when I have a perfectly good spiral router bit. :D

Joe

Dewey Torres
01-12-2009, 2:55 AM
Pat,
Another beauty! Thanks for sharing with us!

Ed Sallee
01-12-2009, 5:41 AM
Very nice! Did you make the checker pieces too?

Martin Shupe
01-12-2009, 5:46 AM
Very nice. Can you tell us which issue of Woodsmith?

John Thompson
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
You did an excellent job, Patrick.

Sarge..

Jim Becker
01-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Very nice work Patrick.

Matt Crew
01-12-2009, 1:25 PM
WOW really nice.
You do let her win, don't you? ;)