PDA

View Full Version : Hammer J/P vs. Grizzly 0634

Mike Gottlieb
01-11-2009, 9:12 PM
I am considering purchasing a 12" J/P combo machine from either Hammer (A3-31) or Grizzly (G0634). I have read pros and cons about the Grizzly machine (most pro comments pertain to the spiral cutterhead) but have not heard much from users regarding the Hammer. I don't believe you can put a spiral or Tersa cutterhead on the Hammer. I would like to hear from those who have the Hammer and whether the additional cost is worth it. Also, do you feel the lack of a spiral cutterhead is much, if any, of a disadvantage with the Hammer when doing highly figured woods? I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts.

Narayan Nayar
01-11-2009, 9:23 PM
Hey Mike. Welcome to SMC.

There have been at least a few pretty active threads on this in the last year. Did you use the search feature?

I have an A3-31 and think it's a great machine. Some of the other threads talked more about the Grizzly and Jet models.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Mike, I have the Felder, so will only comment on knife geometry. I used mine to joint and plane some very wild walnut today, and I really have no doubt that a spiral cutter head would show zero improvement. This walnut is figured nicely and has knots, which for some reason my wife loves. I use the Felder knife system, which I think is the same as Hammer. Pretty sure you could get a Tersa for the Hammer as well. I'm biased, but, you won't regret Hammer/Felder.

Wilbur Pan
01-12-2009, 7:44 AM
I haven't used either machine, but I have a Rikon 10" jointer/planer combo. One thing I really like is the Euro style guard, which the Hammer machine has. I like it much more than the pork-chop style guard on the Grizzly. That alone would lean me much more towards the Hammer, if I was choosing between the two.

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2009, 8:09 AM
Mike, I have the Felder, so will only comment on knife geometry. I used mine to joint and plane some very wild walnut today, and I really have no doubt that a spiral cutter head would show zero improvement. This walnut is figured nicely and has knots, which for some reason my wife loves. I use the Felder knife system, which I think is the same as Hammer. Pretty sure you could get a Tersa for the Hammer as well. I'm biased, but, you won't regret Hammer/Felder.

I have a Hammer A3 31, and Steve's comments on the knife geometry is accurate. My experience with the Hammer cutterhead is that it will plane figured wood very well, far better than my previous General jointer and planer.

The A3 31 takes deep cuts in hardwood without effort, and is snipe free.

The machine has no discernable vibration, surface finish of the work pieces is flawless, and the accuracy and quality of the machine is top notch. It's actually better than the General equipment.

The knives take about 5 minutes to change, no adjustment or gauges required, I use the cobalt knives and they are the same price as having the knives on my previous machines ground.

I like the Hammer A3 31 so much that I'm considering purchasing their saw/shaper to replace my General 650 saw and shaper.

Regards, Rod.

Alister Orme
01-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi,
the photo is the head of my !6" jointer /planer that shook itself to bits on Jatoba.
I bought a 20" planer and put a shelix head in it for tough work and fixed the J/P
I've owned both brands and in this case I wouldn't hesitate to buy the grizzly...mainly because their support is timely.....Dealing with Felder in the US can be very frustrating and I wouldn't buy another machine from them., Reading messages Felder Canada seem to have their act together.
http://www.orme.com/badgerpond/hammerbooboo.jpg

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
anyone know who is building the grizzly combo machine? My understanding is that its German made...not Asian. I think the catalog mentions this...

Scot Ferraro
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I have the Hammer A3-31 and agree with what others have said in regards to finish and cut-quality. The machine works flawlessly and I have run quite a few board feet of different species wood through my machine. The knives hold up well and are easy to change. Love the euro-guard too. The finish is so flat that I literally get suction between the work piece and the jointer table. This is not to say that you could get the same quality cut and finish on the Grizzly or another machine. Jet and Mini-Max would be worth a look too. I do not have any regrets with my purchase.

Scot

Thomas S Stockton
01-12-2009, 3:06 PM
The german made one was the 16" model which isn't in their catalog so maybe it didn't sell well enough to keep producing.
Tom