PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Kreg Klamp Table??? You decide

joseph j shields
01-11-2009, 7:54 PM
I went to Rockler with the intention of buying their Kreg Klamp Table. But a little voice inside me said "build it". So I bought the tracks, clamps and accessories and went home.

I quickly built the top and was trying to figure out how/where to mount it. I then remembered I bought a Craftsman Height Adjustable "WorkMate" Table several years ago. (I was waiting for the perfect application to use this thing... and I found it :D)

BINGO this was the perfect base for my Kreg Klamp table.

Here are the details:

The table top adjusts from 31" to 41"
The whole units folds-up and can be stored against a wall
The table top can be tilted from 0 to 90 degrees.
The unit a pretty solid, even fully extended to 41".
I mounted the table to the center cleat of the workmate... this way I can easily remove it if I need to.

I've only pocket screwed a few boards, but I kind of like tilting the table about 20 degrees. It make the boards slide into place and I have better access to drive the screws.
The Sears table is only $69... here is the linky... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00965796000P?mv=rr
The Sear table is quite stable and well-built... I think it was built in Europe... the bench dogs fit perfectly in my Festool MFT table.
I'm still tinkering with the table and may make other mods... :):)

Enjoy the pictures....

Comments welcome!!!

-jj

Mike Goetzke
01-11-2009, 8:22 PM
Very nice and clever. Can you post the dimensions of the table top?

Thanks,

Mike

Jim Dunn
01-11-2009, 8:35 PM
Very slick!! Real neat do-it-yourself idea.

How much total have you invested in the complete assy? If you don't mind:)

Rob Wright
01-11-2009, 9:06 PM
Great idea and a great overall price!

joseph j shields
01-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Very slick!! Real neat do-it-yourself idea.

How much total have you invested in the complete assy? If you don't mind:)

The table (when I bought it) was $45

2 Kreg rails (with a Rockler discount) ~$60

3 Kreg Clamps @ $20 each $60

Plastic Guides $14

So the grand total ~179 (Plus some scrap wood for the top) VS $400 for the complete Kreg Klamp Top and Base.

-jj

joseph j shields
01-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Very nice and clever. Can you post the dimensions of the table top?

Thanks,

Mike

The table top is 40" x 24"

-jj

Bob Wingard
01-12-2009, 1:26 AM
Beautiful adaptation .. .. ..

Got a quick question fer ya' .. .. .. those little black plastic thingies that hold the workpieces slightly away from the extrusions .. .. I've read that they have several calculated "offsets", depending on how you orient them in use .. .. what is the purpose of that ?? ??

Not that those pieces are very costly, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to just make some with only 1 offset ?? ??

thanx .. .. ..

<<<__ Bøb __>>>

Dewey Torres
01-12-2009, 1:41 AM
The thing looks great already. More improvements may put it completely over the top!

Sue Wise
01-12-2009, 8:22 AM
That looks great! What did you use for the top? melamine? Did you do the edge banding yourself?

I purchased the rails and clamps last year to build one but have not done anything with them yet.

Don Bullock
01-12-2009, 8:30 AM
By Joe, I think you got it.;):D

Wow Joseph, based on the picture below your table even better that the real thing to me. If I get to the point where I'm making a lot of face frames building one like you did will be good idea. I really like the adjustability of height and angle. The fact that your table can be folded up when not needed is an added bonus.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/30211-01-500.jpg

joseph j shields
01-12-2009, 8:54 AM
That looks great! What did you use for the top? melamine? Did you do the edge banding yourself?

I purchased the rails and clamps last year to build one but have not done anything with them yet.

To make the top, you need 2 pieces... you attach the rails to the bottom sheet and then add a sheet between the rails.

I used plywood for the base and melamine coated particleboard for the top (purchased at Menards)

I ironed on the melamine edge banding with an old iron... very easy to do...

-jj

joseph j shields
01-12-2009, 8:58 AM
Beautiful adaptation .. .. ..

Got a quick question fer ya' .. .. .. those little black plastic thingies that hold the workpieces slightly away from the extrusions .. .. I've read that they have several calculated "offsets", depending on how you orient them in use .. .. what is the purpose of that ?? ??

Not that those pieces are very costly, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to just make some with only 1 offset ?? ??

thanx .. .. ..

<<<__ Bøb __>>>

Bob,

the little thingys are well designed... they fit perfectly in the rails.

If you mount them witht he A side up, you get 1.5" offset... if you flip it over and mount it with the B side up you get 2" offset. Very clever design and very sturdy.

-jj

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 9:07 AM
Don and Joe (and others), now that you have also joined the Kreg table love group..I wanted to show you some fun I have had with my setup. I really like the Kreg klamps for the track. In fact for Christmas I got some of the new 6" Long Reach clamps - seen them yet? I use my setup on the back of my panel rack. I wanted the kreg face frame table functionality (on the small scale) without the $2800 expense!! Also wanted to use the space I already had. I got a deal on the tables so it did not pay to make them for me. The air clamps work on my Kreg table and also work on a table I made for my mortiser.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/klamp4.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/klamp3.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/kregscrews.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/kregklamp.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/mortisertable2.jpg

Kreg Long Reach 6" clamp
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315l%2BjZ6DRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 9:09 AM
Bob,

the little thingys are well designed... they fit perfectly in the rails.

If you mount them witht he A side up, you get 1.5" offset... if you flip it over and mount it with the B side up you get 2" offset. Very clever design and very sturdy.

-jj

The offset allows the FF stock to be positioned so the middle of the stock is right where the Kreg clamp pad will be. It also allows the two pieces to be registered 90 degrees to each other on the table.

Sonny Edmonds
01-12-2009, 9:28 AM
Now you're talkin!
I'm not a kregnut, I prefer to do my work more taditionally than to screw it together. But that may change one day. :rolleyes:
I do have a shop made pnumatic clamping set-up for gluing up with.
This Kreg track and clamps might be the Coup-de-gras to make it dandy.
Glad I stopped by this thread. :)

joseph j shields
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Mike,

WOW!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Now that's a table"

How do you like tilting the table top???

What angle works best for you???

-jj

Steve Clardy
01-12-2009, 6:12 PM
Keep designing these face frame tables guys. :D

So far I haven't seen one that has provisions to clamp down a frame with this many parts, unless it's a production bought unit with a slide that has the air cylinder hold downs.

I guess a table with a lot of tracks imbedded into a table would work. But then there would be a problem of attaching a vise grip type clamp like the kreg into the tracks. Hmmm.

Another project to mull over. :D

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 7:40 PM
Keep designing these face frame tables guys. :D

So far I haven't seen one that has provisions to clamp down a frame with this many parts, unless it's a production bought unit with a slide that has the air cylinder hold downs.

I guess a table with a lot of tracks imbedded into a table would work. But then there would be a problem of attaching a vise grip type clamp like the kreg into the tracks. Hmmm.

Another project to mull over. :D

Maybe not all at one time but mine would get close, and would work in two passes maybe I bet. With the track being flat to the tables you can position the FFs anywhere you want. You use the klamp blocks anywhere you want support and use two tracks and blocks anywhere you want 90 degrees.

I believe the back of my rack is at a 20 degree angle towards the back ( I need to measure that so don't quote me). I do not tip mine. They are attached to the back of the rack at that angle. It lets the Face Frames have just enough gravity to stay against the blocks on the track or the templates between rails. The Foreman is also at that angle and on the same plane. The blocks will support any piece I am pocket drilling on the Foreman as well.

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 7:45 PM
This picture kinda shows the angle a bit better.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/klamp1.jpg

These pics show the front of the rack.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/tracs2.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/jlt-1.jpg

Steve Clardy
01-12-2009, 8:10 PM
Does the kreg clamp have to be slide into the end of the track, or can you insert it into the track, then turn to lock it in?

Seen those at the woodshows but never checked them out.

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 8:14 PM
They slide in from the end. They rotate 360 degrees. Wonder If I could make one insert and rotate like you are asking. I may try that out. I bought a few of the screws from Kreg - reports are that the Snap-on trucks have the same clamps and they go on sale sometimes.

Steve Clardy
01-12-2009, 8:17 PM
Do you see a way to redo the end where they slide in?

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 9:12 PM
Not sure what you mean by redo the end.

I was thinking you have two options - Access hole in the middle (but that means you cannot clamp at that access hole spot), or modifying the screw a bit and loosing part of the 360 rotation in trade for quick insert.

Steve Clardy
01-12-2009, 9:16 PM
Modifying as in, dropping clamp into track anywhere, then twisting clamp left or right to lock it in.

Mike Heidrick
01-12-2009, 9:27 PM
Modifying as in, dropping clamp into track anywhere, then twisting clamp left or right to lock it in.

Yes, that is what I am thinking

Steve Clardy
01-12-2009, 9:28 PM
Or modify the track itself, like the keyhole slot in their plate.

Just brain rattling here...:eek::D

Mike Heidrick
01-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Or modify the track itself, like the keyhole slot in their plate.

Just brain rattling here...:eek::D

That was the first option I listed.

Mike Heidrick
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
New 6" clamp comparison to original 3".

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/6clamp.jpg

Steve Clardy
01-13-2009, 10:48 AM
That was the first option I listed.

Yes. I missed that the first time. :o:D:D

Colin Giersberg
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I believe what Steve is talking about is the apparent un-finished ends of the tracks. What I have thought of is a square aluminum block that would have two sides with the slots milled in perpendicular to each other, and the other two sides would be solid, ie. no slots at all. Where the two slots meet would have a hole that would allow the screw head on the bottom of the clamps to drop in. While it doesn't improve the usefulness of the system, it does dress up the gap at the corners of the table. I guess there are some of us that like something to look truly finished (I am not sure if that sounds right, but the Kreg table looks like a part was omitted).

Regards, Colin

Mike Heidrick
01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I like how you can square it all up when you assemble the table. The assembly allows for no shipping damage with the screws in the particle wood tables.

joseph j shields
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Mike,

I noticed you have the DeWalt Track saw...

How do you like it???

I have the Festool system.

-jj

Chris Padilla
03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
So far I haven't seen one that has provisions to clamp down a frame with this many parts,

7 pin nailers?!?! Did you hit the lottery or what?! ;)

Earl Arbogast
09-07-2011, 3:13 PM
I know this is an old thread but I was ready to do that folding table on the last Wood Magazine issue. Or there are height adjustable drafting tables you could use. But after looking all over for that Sears clamp table, I found it in my own hometown. Apparently discontinued for awhile, my store had three in the back storage and sold them to me for $25. I bought two so if anyone is thinking about these, there is one left at my store and one at another sears store across town. Don't know if they will ship though. I loved that setup from the OP.

Mike Heidrick
09-07-2011, 6:32 PM
Welcome Earl!

Earl Arbogast
09-07-2011, 6:33 PM
Robert, I tried sending you the information but I don't see it sent. I'll put it here cause I'm new and trying to figure things out. The item# is 00965796000. They found it under that number. The mfr model # is 65796. I couldn't order it online because it kept coming back discontinued item so I had to go to the store. There is one each at these stores: (I got mine at the Gateway Store)

750 Sunland Park Dr, El Paso - (915) 834-2000
8401 Gateway Blvd W, El Paso - (915) 775-4900

Good Luck, hope they ship it for you.

Earl