PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Bench Height?

B Dale Ray
01-11-2009, 5:23 PM
Hi All -

After many years of moving around, I'm finally settling down a bit and in the deal getting space for a (15' x 29') shop. I'm picking up a number of used pieces of equipment (table saw, radial arm saw, band saw, router table, etc.) that I'll be building benches & bases for.

As I start the process, I'd like your input as to the ideal height for the work surface. It seems like I need 2 basic heights - a lower one for getting 'down' on projects, and a taller one for finer work, and that will keep my back (more) upright. It also seems like the height should be relative to *my* height - I'm 6' tall or so. I'll be the only one working down there, so I'm not terribly worried about making it 'universal' for other people.

Thoughts?

Mike Gager
01-11-2009, 6:13 PM
well im 6'5" and i hate bending over to work on stuff so i have my bench at about 38" which seems pretty good to me

Clay Crocker
01-11-2009, 6:26 PM
I'm 6'4" and all my benches are 37" off the floor, it just seemed like a comfortable height for me when I started setting up shop.

Clay

Lewis Cobb
01-11-2009, 6:31 PM
Made mine the same height as the tablesaw table - then it can double as an outfeed table (when I clear all the junk off it ;) )

Von Bickley
01-11-2009, 7:34 PM
Made mine the same height as the tablesaw table - then it can double as an outfeed table (when I clear all the junk off it ;) )

I agree with Lewis. If the TS height is comfortable for you, build all your benches that same height so you can use them all together if needed.

Steve Southwood
01-11-2009, 7:40 PM
Another 6'-5" here. I run all my benches at 39". Works well for me.

Jim Becker
01-11-2009, 8:21 PM
There is no one "ideal" bench height....as you surmise, different activities and project types have different optimal work surface heights and your own physical stature plays into that. I thought about this quite a bit and ended up with an Adjust-A-Bench for my shop. It stays at about 36" most of the time (I am 5'11"), but can go much lower and higher as needs dictate. This is particularly useful for assembly work (lower) to avoid a step stool for taller project and detail work (higher) so I can avoid back strain.

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!

Tom Grant
01-11-2009, 9:10 PM
If I might slip in a related question...
Anyone else find their table saw height to be a bit low? The industry seems to think it has to be 34" high (+/-). I love my Sawstop with the very clever mobile base, but I often ponder what it would take to raise it a couple inches. I'm 6' 3" so I prefer benches to be 36" to 38", but I'm not sure of the ergonomics of the table saw.
So any thoughts on what is a "safe" table saw height?

Maurice Ungaro
01-11-2009, 9:36 PM
To determine the right working height for you bench, customized for you: Stand up straight, arms at your side; with your fingers pointing to the floor, outstretch your thumbs at 90 deg to your fingers (point thumbs towards your body); note where thumbs strike your body - this is your working height for your bench.

Jim makes to great point for the Adjust-a-Bench, as some work methods require different heights. See what you most likely need as go accordingly.

Mike Gager
01-11-2009, 9:36 PM
my ridgid table saw is 36.5

Chris Lindell
01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
In Woodworking magazine's issue on workbenches, (and Christopher Schwarz' book) they mentioned that they use this method, stand up straight, hands flat at your sides and measure from the ground to where the knuckle of your pinky hits your hand.

Tom Veatch
01-12-2009, 12:06 AM
...Stand up straight, arms at your side; with your fingers pointing to the floor, outstretch your thumbs at 90 deg to your fingers (point thumbs towards your body); note where thumbs strike your body - this is your working height for your bench....

I used that method to set the height of my bench. The table saw height was a little below that so I used a set of these (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41865&cat=3,40993,41283) to raise the saw (Jet JTS-10XL) to the same height. Used that height for almost all horizontal work surfaces in the shop. Very comfortable height for me.

John Schreiber
01-12-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm beginning to think this is a question without a single answer. I'm 6'1" and I do a lot of hand work including planing. I just built my bench to 33 1/2" and that works great for planing and some other activities. It lets me get my weight above the tool and use my body weight to my advantage. But it is short for other work. Sometimes I realize that I've been leaning over too much and that my back is starting to hurt.

I'm experimenting with a platform on top of my bench. It's basically a four inch thick slab of glued up wood that I can take on or off of my bench. I may rig it to fit in dog holes or something so that it is more stable. I may also try something taller too.

Dewey Torres
01-12-2009, 1:16 AM
According to fine woodworking most are from 34-38 inches but when it feels right is is right!:)

Clay Crocker
01-12-2009, 7:27 AM
If I might slip in a related question...
Anyone else find their table saw height to be a bit low? The industry seems to think it has to be 34" high (+/-). I love my Sawstop with the very clever mobile base, but I often ponder what it would take to raise it a couple inches. I'm 6' 3" so I prefer benches to be 36" to 38", but I'm not sure of the ergonomics of the table saw.
So any thoughts on what is a "safe" table saw height?

My General 650 was too low for me when I bought it....I think it was only about 34" off the floor. I added a wooden base between the bottom of the saw and the mobile base to get the table height up to 37".

Clay

Al Navas
01-12-2009, 9:29 AM
I'm beginning to think this is a question without a single answer. I'm 6'1" and I do a lot of hand work including planing. I just built my bench to 33 1/2" and that works great for planing and some other activities. It lets me get my weight above the tool and use my body weight to my advantage. But it is short for other work. Sometimes I realize that I've been leaning over too much and that my back is starting to hurt.

I'm experimenting with a platform on top of my bench. It's basically a four inch thick slab of glued up wood that I can take on or off of my bench. I may rig it to fit in dog holes or something so that it is more stable. I may also try something taller too.
John,

You ARE on to something. At Berea, Chris Schwarz did his session on Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding. I made a video of the session, and split it into 3 Parts, and posted all three on my blog: http://sandal-woodsblog.com/?s=forgotten+bench .

The reason I mention this: In Part 2, and something I highlighted in my notes, he mentioned that for hand tool work, and especially for hand planing, he found the ideal bench height "...should hit the joint between the pinkie and the palm of the hand..."

As I started using hand tools more and more, incorporating them into the everyday part of my shop, I found this to be true. The lower the bench, the more work you do with your legs when you use a hand plane. But, for dovetailing and other joinery, the bench must be considerably taller - or, at least, the working edges or surfaces, must be on a taller plane, or back trouble in the form of aches and pains might develop.

Roy Underhill's "dovetailing bench" is a good example of a taller bench. I don't remember the exact height, but I think it stands around 40 inches, or maybe even slightly taller.

The bottom line: Some hand tool work requires a lower bench, and some requires a taller bench. Some people use (have?) more than one bench for this reason. Others have a shorter bench, and adjust the height using various methods, including adding solid platforms to the existing bench top, as you suggest.

Maurice Ungaro
01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
FWW has done some articles on this, particularly about 3 works zones equating to 3 different heights. This all can be done with one bench. The bench in it's basic configuration is for power coming from the lower body (planing, etc.), with an added platform it is used for work that requires more finesse, and detail work can be done when seated low at the bench.