PDA

View Full Version : Jet 14" bandsaw owners. Help requested

Bob Rufener
01-11-2009, 4:53 PM
I have a JBS 14DX Jet 14" bandsaw with the quick release tension adjustment. The set screw on the cylinder shaped part that threads onto the vertical adjustment rod came loose and I am wondering if someone who has a similar saw can advise me as to where on the rod the cylinder set screw should be tightened to accurately adjust the blade tension. As of now, when I try to tension the blade, the cylinder turns and I can't adjust it like I should. I have attached a picture. The cylinder is about 4" below the T and L that I have marked on the saw. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Kyle Kraft
01-11-2009, 6:14 PM
Just a quick suggestion. Look on the shaft for a witness mark left by the setscrew. It should be on the original location.

lowell holmes
01-11-2009, 6:28 PM
I have a jet bs without the quick release lever. I did replace the adjustment knob with a wheel. I also added tire brushes and an Itura tension spring. I use saw blades from BC Saw in Canada.

Following Itura's recommendation. I set the tension to one size smaller than the blade I'm using. I will set it to 1/4" when using a 3/8" blade. I will set the 1/2" 3tpi skip tooth blade at 1/2" when resawing 6" boards or larger.

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but the setup works well and gives me no problems.

As a side light, I aligned the wheels.

Bill Huber
01-11-2009, 7:03 PM
I am not sure but if you can't see a witness mark then I would put the lever in the untensioned position and then tighten the set screw and see how that works.

Bob Rufener
01-11-2009, 8:41 PM
I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't turn the cylinder enough to see the witness mark. I can just go ahead and crank it down per Bill Huber's subbestion but it would not give me an accurate tension adjustment measurement.

Carlos Alden
01-11-2009, 8:52 PM
Bob:

Just bought the same saw. Here's what I have for measurements:

From the BOTTOM edge of the tensioning knob (I see in your picture that you have a crank installed) to the TOP edge of the black cylinder it is 3 3/4". If that doesn't make sense because of having installed the crank, I can see TWO empty threads above the top edge of the cylinder - it is pretty much screwed up to the top of the threaded part of the rod.

Where did you get that tensioning crank?

Carlos

Bob Rufener
01-11-2009, 9:25 PM
Carlos,

Thanks for the information. That's the answer I was looking for I will adjust accordingly. I picked up the crank at a service center that repairs milling machines, lathes, saws, etc. It was a miscellaneous part that they had laying around-they gave it to me at no cost. It doesn't work as well as I had hoped. I will probably reinstall the original knob until I can find a larger handle or knob that will work well. I have rather large hands and the small knob is a PITA to adjust. I don't know if anyone else has a better solution to the small knob but I am open to suggestions.

Carlos Alden
01-11-2009, 9:31 PM
Bob:

I hate that little knob. I put a riser block on my saw, and when I have to tension the blade it puts my hand/arm/wrist at an awkward angle, and I can feel tendons doing things that aren't in the natural realm for body parts.

Other than that I like the saw. Just resawed some 4" thick hardwood today into 1mm slices. Nice and even.

Carlos