PDA

View Full Version : Oh so close

Greg Ketell
01-11-2009, 1:51 PM
Well I was working on my 3rd bowl ever and had it all finished other than cleaning up the base of it after turning the inside when I had a severe catch. Broke it into 5 pieces, 3 of which I found. I liked the wood and wanted input on the shape so I glued it back together, re-sanded the outside, returned thee foot and ....

So please critique (all but the cracks and chips). It is 2-1/4" by 3-7/8" birdseye redwood (this was actually the "scrap wood" that was sitting in the bottom of my pressure pot for leveling out castings).

Mike Stephens
01-11-2009, 2:00 PM
Beautiful bowl. I'm sorry it broke on you. The shape, color and figure (birds eye) are very pleasing.

Mike

Richard Madison
01-11-2009, 2:08 PM
Greg,
Beautiful wood and a very nicely shaped piece. Smooth curvature all around. Not too thick. Motor more gently next time. You are definitely on the right track.

Bernie Weishapl
01-11-2009, 2:17 PM
Great bowl and very nice form. Wood and color are really nice. Catches will happen.

Skip Spaulding
01-11-2009, 2:54 PM
Nice wood, good shape, beautiful bowl.Turning can humble even an experienced turner in a heart beat! Kind of like General Patton said about war, "God help me, I love it"!

Don Carter
01-11-2009, 2:54 PM
Greg:
Beautiful wood and great looking bowl. Keep making them! Don't stop now. You are definitely on the right track.

All the best.

Don

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-11-2009, 3:14 PM
I like the bowl enough to make "Design Changes" to make it saleable.

Since the pieces that are still gone appear to be directly across from each other, you might get use a spindle Sander and scallop the edges, starting at the the v's.

Just a suggestion.

As far as the catches and cracks go, smooth them out and re-finish the bowl

Bruce

robert hainstock
01-11-2009, 4:52 PM
What a shme. Realy like the form, and it is awsome wood, but like berie said, catches will. :eek::eek:
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2009, 5:02 PM
Very pretty wood Greg and I can see why you would be upset with having it go ballistic! Nice form! I would take Bruce's suggestion and salvage the bowl. Either scallop the edge or fill in the gaps with colored epoxy and then do a refinish.

Best of luck should you decide to salvage!

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:22 AM
Greg, The bowl was great and the wood is spectacular! To bad it had to happen at the end! I have done it and it really sucks! I had a wild thing I was working on sitting on the table saw and I grabbed for some thing and it fell to the concrete! busted off a wing and now it is just a plain HF.

Very nice job until the disaster!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
01-12-2009, 9:48 AM
Man that sucks, I guess we've all had similar experiences. What a nice looking piece of wood that is too. Other than the obvious I love it, great job!!

Steve Mawson
01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Thats a beauty, well worth saving if thats what you decide to do.

Dave Torro
01-12-2009, 6:30 PM
i believe we all had that " oh mother %#@!* experience's on nice wood turnings at the end such as your's,,, when that happens i sit back, smile and say " pins and needles, needles and pins, a happy man, is a man that grins' and then ask myself "what i am mad about?"

just a lesson in life, and try to learn and not let it get you down.

P.S. any honeymooner fans out there?