PDA

View Full Version : Another Wood ID

Greg Just
01-11-2009, 1:44 PM
Need help identifying this log I picked up at the Wood Turners wood raffle the other night. Even the dog can't figure out what it is. Maybe Ash? I have sealed the ends since I took the picture.

Thanks.

Greg

robert hainstock
01-11-2009, 5:15 PM
To tell from a picture, but my guess would be maple. Ash and oak are very open grained, and you can easily see the pores in the end grain. Maple is very tight grained. for whatever that helps. :)
Bob

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:18 AM
It looks a lot like some of the Bitternut hickory we have around here, but also looks like hard maple also. Lots fo bark looks close to others at different stages in there growth. It could be white or green ash as the bark looks very similar. It is very hard to tell with out seeing a fresh cut end or the wood itself! A puzzler???

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:19 AM
I think it really might be an elm of some sort not that I look at it more closely!

Jeff

kenneth walker
01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
The bark looks like my butternut tree as does the inside. Ken

Reed Gray
01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
My first thought from the end grain was cherry, but the bark doesn't look quite right. Dunno wood?
robo hippy

Steve Mawson
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Looks like Elm to me. Wild guess.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-12-2009, 3:23 PM
Hard to tell from some bad pictures, with no comparison for size, now with a picture made in daylight and clearly focused, and a fresh sawn clean cut on the endgrain, we might be able to tell what it is, right now it's just guessing, and yes it could be Elm, as well as some other wood :confused: :(.

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 5:33 PM
If it is cherry you will be able to tell right away if you cut it as the smell is unmistakable. If it is butternut the wood will be soft and dent easy with your finger nail and it has a very different smell also. It is a very light wood compared to all the others that have been mentioned.

Like both Leo and I said better pics of a clean end!

Jeff

Greg Just
01-12-2009, 8:09 PM
here are a couple of new pictures. The ends have been sealed so that might effect the color. I know that this is not cherry as I have lots of it.

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 8:35 PM
I still say elm. Was it smelly when you recut it? Elm smells bad!

Jeff

Bill Bolen
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree with Jeff. If it smells like wet dog when turning and you find a tough fiberous layer between the bark and the sap wood it is sure to be elm...Bill..

Leo Van Der Loo
01-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes I think my first guess was right, Elm is what it looks like to me, I'd say it is White, AKA American Elm.