PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Router Addition for Powermatic 66?

Steve H Graham
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
I managed to complete the extension for my old Powermatic 66. I had converted an old melamine computer desk top to hold a lift and a router, and I decided to rip it to the correct width and turn it into a table saw extension. I put legs and casters on it and shimmed it up so it's flat, and now it's very, very sturdy.

That being said, this was supposed to be a temporary fix and a learning experience. I'd like to put a nicer surface in there (the old desk has a fair number of holes that have to be covered up), and it would be great to have cast iron around the router so I could use magnetic accessories.

I took a look at Bench Dog, and their cast iron is only 27" wide. My table is 28" wide. I'm wondering whether anyone else has put a cast iron router insert on a PM66. I suppose I could put half-inch wood or plastic strips along the sides to fill the gaps.

One more question. If I can't have cast iron, a T-track would be nice, but the rails cover up the sides of the extension, so there would be no place to insert things. Is there any reason I can't have two pieces of T-track at a right angle, so I can insert stuff from the front of the extension and then make a hard turn? I assume I could grind out the inside of the T-track at the bend so nothing would get stuck.

Russ Massery
01-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Steve,
look here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
You can have one made to you specks. The guys that bought them a raving over them. As a machinist myself they look great. You can have it made to use the router lift of your choice.

Ted Shrader
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Steve -

+1 For Quality Grinding and Machine (http://www.qualitygrinding.com/). Shoot a PM to Chris Brown (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=30651) and he will able to give you all the info you need.

For the T track entry, why not grind a notch in the the support rail? Just like the ones for the miter slots on the saw top.

Regards,
Ted

Steve H Graham
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM
That's incredible. I don't know why I couldn't find it when I searched the forums. Thanks for the link.

Steve H Graham
01-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I suppose I could grind a depression into the rail; I just hate to cut it up.

Looking at those beautiful custom extensions, I wonder if the best thing is to put one out at the end of my rails, like the current router, or to put it on the left side of the blade, where it will be closer to the center of gravity.

Maybe mass on both ends of the table is better than mass on one end and relatively light wood and melamine on the other.

If I got one of those, I'd have to be really sure I liked my router lift. I have a Bosch 1619, and I got a Plungelift for it because I had no doubts about it bolting right up.

I suppose for now the best thing is to stick some T-track in the existing table, use it, and make a more informed decision later.

Neal Clayton
01-11-2009, 3:12 PM
actually there's not that much difference, it might be closer to center even. the motor is on the left, the extensions from quality grinding replace the extension on the end, not add to it, so you have the motor on one side and a slightly heaver extension on the other, the result is a pretty even balance.

if you read the threads in their forum i'm sure you saw mine, i'm completely happy with it, imo it's the best shaper alternative you can have.