PDA

View Full Version : Best router lift for Powermatic64a?

travis howe
01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Anyone have any experience w/ replacing the extension table with a router lift?

I've searched other threads that discuss the topic but nothing specific to the 64a.

I would like something I can change bits from the top due to some dc stuff near where this would go.

I don't mind spending $$ to get something that is stable and functional.

I currently have a ryobi router/table and it's pretty...well....cheap.

Powermatic sells one but doesn't say if it can be changed from the top.

Jessem and benchdog seem to have good ratings but not seeing specifics on how or what would be needed for the 64a.

Thanks!

Larry Edgerton
01-11-2009, 12:02 PM
There is a listing at the bottom of the home page for a company called Quality Grinding and Machine, and they make cast iron tables that are what I would buy if I was in the market. I am not sold on lifts myself, I do not see the need. I use a 3 1/4 hp PC in a extension on my PM66 that I made myself, and I just lift the whole router out of the table to change bits and adjust. Cost zero, and works fine. I tried a plunge and decided that I like the fixed base better.

If you are looking for longevity, there is a reason that almost all of the cnc machines that use a standard router motor use the Porter Cable 3 1/4 Hp model. It is by far and away the strongest router out there. I have several, just for conveniance, and I have never had to so much as put a switch in any of them. They are not light, but I see that as an advantage, especially in a router table. They are not cheap, but neither is replacing one of lessor quality.

If you do this, make sure you mount a switch that is convenient, for safety and for the good of the motor. It was explained to me by a factory tech at Porter Cable that it is many times harder on a router to run with no load than under a reasonable work load because of vibrations set up by imbalances in router bits. So switch it off if you are not using it for a bit. No pun intended....:)