PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Spray Tech Apex Series 2 vs HVLP

Derek Larson
01-11-2009, 9:40 AM
Good morning all, I am seriously considering buying the Spray Tech Apex Series 2 1420 airless sprayer from Lowes $299. I have very little knowledge on these systems versus an HVLP setup. I am not that concerned with overspray if that is the only drawback. My dilemma is that I want to be able to spray both thick latex paints and thin oil based products such as stains. So I am wondering if this would be a decent starting point. The main problem with getting an hvlp system is that I would need to upgrade my compressor and also I paint a lot with latex which from my understand HVLP's are not the best for that. Also keep in mind my wife has me on a VERY tight budget, it was great when I was single and able to wrecklessly spend money on tools, but those days are gone. Thank you

Craig McCormick
01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
The airless will not work well for stains and thin clear finishes. Great for latex though.

AZCRAIG

Derek Larson
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Thank you craig for your response. Could you elaborate on why it wont work with oil, does it cause to much overspray or does it not lay it on correctly. I ask because the website says it can spray oil based stains and clear coats. I dont doubt the expertise here it just my knowledge is on these types of equipment is very vague so I was just wondering what problems I will run into when using this product with stains and clear coats. Thank you again.

Craig McCormick
01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Derek,

It will spray stain and clear finishes but not easily. You just don't have the fine tuning you get with hvlp.

By the time you lower the pressure enough to apply the right amount of finish there may not be enough pressure to get a good spray pattern. The airless sprayers really shine if you want to apply a lot of material fast as in house painting.

It can be done but would not be the sprayer of choice.

The hvlp guns, wether turbine or compressor driven will spray latex but will not work well if you planned on painting a room or the exterior of a house or deck. The paint would have to be thinned too much and the cup is too small for large areas. I do use my hvlp turbine setup to spray latex on a door or two. The hvlp turbines are fantastic for spraying thin finishes.

If you can afford it buy the airless now and later buy an Earlex hvlp turbine sprayer from Woodcraft. You could buy both for under $700

Good luck,

AZCRAIG