PDA

View Full Version : Non-pneumatic nailer

Robert Chapman
01-11-2009, 9:40 AM
I'm looking for an 18 gauge nailer for attaching hardwood trim and would like the flexibility of not having to use a comprssor. I know that there are gas powered models but they lose the gas charge if not used over time. So I'm looking at electric power. Any recommendations?

Rick Lizek
01-11-2009, 9:49 AM
The gas powered nailers do not lose the charge over time. There are a few cordless electric nailers out there. Also consider the Palmgren portable compressor available as a battery version or plug in. See Amazon. There's also a CO2 minitank to power a gun. An air powered gun is your best bet as there are many to choose from and they are pretty inexpensive. When I started woodworking you couldn't touch an air nailer for under $500. You have no idea how tools are so inexpensive these days.

Dave Trask
01-11-2009, 10:23 AM
DeWalt DC608KR Factory Reconditioned DC608K 18-Volt XRP Cordless 18-Gauge Brad Nailer.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MV3VLQ?smid=A1K91FMNH68JLM&tag=nextag-tools-tier2-delta-20&linkCode=asn

Technical Details

Straight magazine, accepts 18 gauge nails ranging in length's from 5/8" to 2"
Contact Trip Lock-Off disables the trigger when not in use and is easy to engage/dis-engage
Integrated LED lights for long life and durability
Top cap is impact resistant and easy to remove for troubleshooting
Provides increased portability and versatility on the job-site.
I know some one that has the 16 gauge nailer, He let me
try it out one day and I was impressed.
Compared to my Bostitch air and Paslode gas nailers, it did quite well.

Larry Edgerton
01-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I bought Paslode Gas nailers when they came out and had continual problems. They were stolen and I collected the insurance and never looked back. I understand that they have solved many if not all of the reliability issues, but they are still huge, clumsy, and stink.

I tried a Dewalt cordless last weekend and it did a nice job at what it tried, but again, it is heavy, and huge! But it doesn't stink. :)

I like air, and I do more trim than most. Over the years I have tried all the quality guns that come out, and I am stuck on Senco for all finish work. They have the angled nails on their finish gun, and the nails are of a better quality. One thing of importance to me is if a nail does not go in all the way can I drive it in or pull it out. Many fail this, Senco does not. I have come to find that the Senco Slp20 and their old style pinner that only goes to 1 5/8" are my favorites, the pinner because of its power and small size. I do not like their new style pinner that goes to 2". Too many "heads up" nails.

I am getting old and do not like to work too hard so am always looking for new ways to make my life easier. One way I found a couple of years ago is that I switched my lead-in hose to a Flexsteel 1/4 inch hose. Much of what makes you tired is lifting the hose, the flexsteel seems to be weightless, and despite how it looks it is tough as the gray hose that I replaced. I still use the gray hose to get to where I am working.

My own conclusion is that the hoseless nailers always come up short, by way of performance, relaibility, or just they are so darned clumsy that they affect quality of work. Someday.....

Ryan Baker
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
The electric models look interesting, but are very expensive and large. I have one of the CO2 systems and they work quite well. It's inexpensive and works with your existing tools (so you don't have to buy new guns). A brad or finish nailer can also easily be driven by the tiny compressors now on the market that are much easier than dragging around the big compressor for those small jobs (and quiet too). The Paslode type systems never seemed like a good choice to me -- too expensive to operate.

Electric may get there some day, but I don't think it's there yet.

Joe Chritz
01-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Just funnin'.

I have the Paslode (framer and straight finish). I couldn't be happier.

Joe

Ken Milhinch
01-12-2009, 1:29 AM
I have a Paslode and a Dewalt XRP. The Dewalt gets my vote for noise and smell levels.

Dave Trask
01-14-2009, 4:35 AM
Just funnin'.

I have the Paslode (framer and straight finish). I couldn't be happier.

Joe

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106643&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231733234

What in the heck is that ? :confused:
Some sort of new fang dangled tool or device ...no doubt! ;)

Jim Becker
01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Electric nailers pretty much have a bad reputation--they are way underpowered and generally cause a lot of bad language to be uttered. ;) A small compressor from the borg and a pneumatic brad gun would be a much better investment. There are even some very attractively priced combinations of gun/compressor available.

john bateman
01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Also consider the Palmgren portable compressor available as a battery version or plug in. See Amazon.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5132EQEEGRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I received one of those for Christmas. Pretty amazing for a $40 device. And it doesn't limit your choice of nailer. I haven't tried it with a framing nailer, but for 15ga and under it does well, although the pressure is not regulated. So it would help to use nailers that have depth adjustment.

Eric DeSilva
01-14-2009, 1:36 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the mini-CO2 tanks like the JacPac, World Pro or COMP?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jac+pac&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1109169341&ref=pd_sl_9l09ty79lb_e

Looks like for $100 you can get a JacPac regulator (that comes w/a 10 oz CO2 cannister) and a separate 20 oz CO2 cannister. I gather they can be refilled at a paintball shop, and I have one nearby, so they have intrigued me a bit...

Ryan Baker
01-14-2009, 9:40 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the mini-CO2 tanks like the JacPac, World Pro or COMP?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jac+pac&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1109169341&ref=pd_sl_9l09ty79lb_e

Looks like for $100 you can get a JacPac regulator (that comes w/a 10 oz CO2 cannister) and a separate 20 oz CO2 cannister. I gather they can be refilled at a paintball shop, and I have one nearby, so they have intrigued me a bit...

Yes, they work just fine. It's just like working from a compressor. With a brad gun, you get a pretty long life out of a 9oz tank (i'd guess maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of what they claim). Paintball and sports shops will refill the tank for a couple bucks.

Josiah Bartlett
01-15-2009, 1:34 AM
I have a large compressor in my garage, but when I need to use my nailer for an indoor project I have a 10 gallon air tank with a coiled pigtail hose on it. I just fill it up with the compressor and it lasts long enough to get a fair amount of work done. Then I just go back out there and top it off- I put a quick release on the hose and a small paint gun regulator on the nailer. I put a male quick release fitting on my compressor tank with a ball valve, so I just slap the tank on there and it takes about 10 seconds to fill- much faster than a schrader valve. Some of the air tanks will handle 175 psi so if you have a high pressure compressor and a regulator you can get quite a lot of firings out of a nailer out of just an air tank. I also use it with a palm nailer and I keep it full of air all the time in case I have a small job I want to do without having to fire up the compressor and string a hose.

Craig McCormick
01-15-2009, 8:26 AM
Yes, they work just fine. It's just like working from a compressor. With a brad gun, you get a pretty long life out of a 9oz tank (i'd guess maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of what they claim). Paintball and sports shops will refill the tank for a couple bucks.

I had a JacPac set up. I could trim out a small bedroom with it before re-filling. The problem I had is with the canister safety valve. If you leave it in the car on a warm (not hot) day the valve will release all the co2. I think it was $4.00 to refill it at any sporting goods store. I would never pay $100 for one.

AZCRAIG

Eric DeSilva
01-15-2009, 9:52 AM
I would never pay $100 for one.
AZCRAIG

I think that is the conclusion I'm coming too. Although, I might stop by a paintball shop. Seems like they sell regulators and small tanks that might be cheaper than a Jac Pac and more durable as well--the paintball stuff seems to be made for people running around and banging into things. My quick googling leads me to believe I could pick up a regulator and 20 oz tank for about $50-$60. At that price, it might be worth it. Think I'd want to look at the pieces first, however...

Bill White
01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=106643&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231733234

What in the heck is that ? :confused:
Some sort of new fang dangled tool or device ...no doubt! ;)

cordless thumb smasher. Optional equipment allows you to remove large quantities of wood, sheet rock, flesh, and fingernails.
BUT WAIT!! If you order now.....
Bill