PDA

View Full Version : Laguna driftmaster fence

Dave Malen
01-10-2009, 11:33 PM
This is a gloat and question (see below). After waiting almost 3 months I recieved my Laguna driftmaster fence. I installed it on my LTSE 14. Installation included enlarging the original holes for the fence to half inch diameter. The good news is using the universal mounts I was able to install the fence in such a way that the door opens without lifting the table.

What I like

You can cut veneer accurately with the fence being moved by crank system.

You can cut piece after piece of veneer the same thickness by turning the crank a precise rotation.

The fence can be changed from high to low without tools

The drift adjustment is quick and easy and again without tools.

What I didn't like

Setting up the fence 90 degrees to table was fussy. I had to add a paper shim.

Sometimes the fence did not move when using the crank. I have to push the lever that engages the "worm drive" (it's just a rod) past the detent for it to work. Has anybody else had this problem?

Once I adjusted to these problems I am enjoying using it.

Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Dave, I put that fence on my old Oliver, and I love it. The problem you are having is when you switch from not using micro adjust to engaged, correct? You have a lever thing that turns 90 degrees, secured by a wingnut, that locks the lever. Mine has never had an issue with this, but, you do have to jiggle the fence a bit to mesh the threads in the mechanism. I'd be on the phone to Laguna if you have to go over center on the lever to engage, as that probably means they goofed something up when they made it. Hope that helps.

I don't have a detent on mine either. I bought it a while back, I wonder if yours is built a little different.

Dave Malen
01-11-2009, 8:46 AM
Thanks steve. Monday Laguna will get a buzz.
Dave

Dave Malen
01-11-2009, 5:50 PM
also steve,
They have changed the design. They no longer use the wing nut on the lever that allows you to slide or crank the fence..

Dave

Gary Max
01-11-2009, 5:54 PM
I have a HD16 that is a couple years old and I can tell you that a upgrade was long overdue.

Jim Becker
01-11-2009, 8:30 PM
'Does look like a very nice fence setup, Dave!

Dave Malen
01-11-2009, 9:04 PM
Jim
It is a very creative piece of engineering. Now if I can just get it working the way it supposed to. It is usable now - but when you pay the bucks this thing costs I expect it to work flawlessly. I'll see what laguna tech support says monday. Maybe they can suggest a simple fix.
Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2009, 9:10 PM
I have a HD16 that is a couple years old and I can tell you that a upgrade was long overdue.

Yea, that wingnut setup is a bit cheesy...

Chris Fairbanks
01-12-2009, 6:50 PM
Does anyone know if they offer an upgrade to the "non wingnut" setup for those of us with older Driftmasters? Thanks

Dave Malen
01-12-2009, 9:00 PM
Just to set the record straight, This morning I took the mechanism apart, played with it, and got it working the way it should.

BTW - Have not seen any upgrade kit for the older driftmaster

Dave

Grant Vanbokklen
01-13-2009, 8:38 AM
Just to set the record straight, This morning I took the mechanism apart, played with it, and got it working the way it should.

Dave

Can we assume you were not Playing with it right before?

Sonny Edmonds
01-13-2009, 8:59 AM
"Too much information", MaMa-san said. :D

Heather Thompson
01-13-2009, 10:16 AM

Dave

Dave,

You are not alone, when I got mine last year it came from Fed-Ex looking like they used it for wheel chocks, the fence was all dinged up, to Laguna's credit they sent a replacement right away. When I installed the Driftmaster it required alot of playing around (filing, honing, deburring), should not be needed for the cost of this upgrade, then the crank system did the same as yours. :mad: After I took it apart, was able to adjust (play around with it) so it worked properly, love the fence at this point but would expect much better quality of parts for the money spent. I would think that with the state of the economy in this country we could bring this kind of manufacturing to our shores, build high quality products that would be desireable here and abroad and in the end boost this nation back to where it once was. If I have violated the TOS, please feel free to edit this post, guess I am just a little upset after seeing my 401K statement.:eek:

Heather