PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got the JET 1442 lathe?

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I need some hasty feedback on this model...

I've finally tired of turning table legs on my cranky old Craftsman and I need a new 'big' lathe. I've turned on the JET 1236 and it's 'plenty good enough' for what I do...but I'd like to hear somebody say they didn't mess anything up when they made the bigger one. As I understand, the 1442 is essentially a 'stretched' model of the 1236. Local source has one in stock and I need it tomorrow. Delta 1442 is quite a bit less expensive, but not in stock...and I'm not particularly fond of Delta stationary equipment (although I do like the benchtop line). Any feedback appreciated...preferrably in the next couple hours. :)

KC

Ray Dockrey
06-23-2004, 1:40 PM
I do not have one, but from what I have read they are quite a machine. I have read no bad reviews of it. I believe it is more of a smaller version of the 1642 then a stretch of the 1236. I would stay away from the 1442 Delta. I had one and ended up returning it after five months. There are quite a few problems with it. I am not the only one. Do some searching and you wil find many complaints about the Delta.

Jim Becker
06-23-2004, 1:48 PM
The Jet 1442 won the kudos in the March 2003 issue of WOOD Magazine's review of under $1000 lathes. It's a good value for a basic non-VS lathe and is nice and heavy with it's cast iron bed, headstock and legs. It should be just the ticket for what you want to do. It's also a substantially better design than the older 1236, particularly in weight.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-23-2004, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm ordering...

KC

Cecil Arnold
06-23-2004, 3:09 PM
After I bought my 1442 Jet I had the opportunity to take a class in which I used another 1442, a Delta that is the same as the 1642 (VS), the 12XX Jet and a very nice Oneway. While I would opt for the Oneway were money no object, in my opinion the Jet gives you the most bang for the buck. Now, for a caviot (sp?) you may very well have to take the headstock apart and clean-up the VS drive (Riley?) , as the protective coating they apply can become gummy and limit your ability to change speed. Some Varsol or even WD-40 seems to work nicely and if you do a good enough job (I didn't) once should have you turning away. Good luck.

Jack Hogoboom
06-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I bought mine after Christmas. It is incredibly sturdy and solid. Very quiet and very little vibration. In short, I love it. Now, if someone could teach me how to turn....

Jim Becker
06-24-2004, 9:01 AM
Now, if someone could teach me how to turn....
Jack, "do not pass go, do not collect $200"...go to the AAW site (http://www.woodturner.org) and find the local chapter nearest you. There are several in New Jersey. You'll find plenty of mentors, see great demonstrations and make a lot of new friends. Turning is not something you need to do alone...

Stefan Antwarg
06-24-2004, 9:08 AM
Here is another vote for the Jet 1442. I have had it since March and I like it. I have made some rough bowls on it so far. It went well.

Stefan

Mauricio Ulloa
05-19-2009, 5:55 PM
Hey!

I bought a Jet 1442 and I love it! It's about $200 more expensive than the Delta and $1000 less than the 1642! It's a heavy versatile machine with 1 HP motor. This is more than enough power for bowls and turned forms up to 12-14 inches. You can also swivel the head of the lathe and do turning in a different angle. What I don't like much is the tool rest stand. In my case, it tends to bend a little bit. But it works. For me and for what I do, this is the best choice so far.

http://img197.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=73457_SDC10036_122_939lo.JPG

Jim Kountz
05-19-2009, 6:42 PM
I have the 1642 but Ive logged some time on my friends 1442. Its a nice lathe, sturdy, smooth and laid out alot like the 1642. If you dont think larger bowls are in your future go for it, otherwise shuck out a little more and get the VS 1642.

Bill Bolen
05-19-2009, 9:59 PM
Kirk, I've been turning on the 1442 for about 2 years and find it to be an excellent machine for the $$. The only draw backs are the mechanical reeves drive (which has not given me one bit of trouble!)and the orientation of the motor. It sticks out the turning side and can get in the way at times but you can work around that. EVS would be a lot nicer but the only maint. I have to do on the reeves drive takes about 10 minutes twice a year. Pull the belt cover,blow out the dust and lube the shafts that the drive pulleys slide on. Graphite works best, some use 2-3 drops of 3in1 oil. You willo like this lathe and jet customer service is outstanding...Bill..

Tom Henry
05-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Another vote for the 1442...new owner here and loving it...:D

J. Greg Jones
05-20-2009, 5:10 AM
I hope that Kirk does have the answer to his question by now. The original post is 5 years old! :D

Cody Colston
05-20-2009, 7:27 AM
I thought maybe Kirk had a change of heart and returned to SMC. He left this forum about 2 years ago. ;)

Alan Tolchinsky
05-20-2009, 11:16 AM
The price for the 1442 is $1439 and the 1642 is $1739. If those are the prices you're looking at then the 1642 is the better value IMHO. These are Amazon prices BTW. I have a Delta lathe with a Reeves drive and it's so noisy I have to wear ear protection to use it. I wonder if the Jet is like that; I've never used one. I've never used the 1642 either but just going by the specs it's much more lathe albeit at a higher price. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00064NGRO/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance Alan

The price on the Jet 1642 2HP just went up to $2200 but Amazon had a good deal on it for awhile.

Earl Shackelford
05-02-2011, 5:23 PM
Another vote for the 1442...new owner here and loving it...:DI purchased mine about 3 years ago turned many bowls, boxes, pens and pepper-mills. The lathe has served me well with one problem the cooling fan on the motor slipped. The jet dealer sen me a new one which took two days to arrive with no questions asked. Service is excellent. If you have the money I would go for the 1642 with electronic speed control. Like another posting said the motor is mounted in such a way you if you reverse a bowl to turn the bottom the rim will hit the motor.

I like my machine it was a good investment and is still going strong.

Bill Bolen
05-02-2011, 5:33 PM
oops! This post looks to be about 7 years old.