PDA

View Full Version : Pm 3520b

alex carey
01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't have a commercial address. Do I need a pickup truck when I pick this up or will my Volvo Station wagon work? 700# might be a bit much to try and lift into a volvo. I don't have immediate access to a pickup truck but if it comes to that then I'm sure I can get a friend to help me out.

Alex

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2009, 11:14 PM
I would say you had better get that pickup. It is so much easier to unload and you might tear up your wagon.

Mike Peace
01-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I agree with Bernie. I got a PM3530. It is a big and heavy crate. I do not think it would fit in a station wagon. I had a Delta 14" BS in a crate that was loaded into an SUV with a fork lift. It barely fit and it was smaller than my PM3520 crate.

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Alex - get a truck and a few guys to help you move and set up that thing! Doubt that it would fit in the Volvo but even if it did it would destroy the interior of the vehicle - they are just not designed to haul a 750 pound box!

Alan Trout
01-11-2009, 1:03 AM
I have used the trucks that Home Depot rents for $19.95 on several occasions that I did not want to put my truck through the abuse. I would rather put wear and tear on their stuff then mine. Even more so if all I had was a car.

Good Luck

Alan

Ken Fitzgerald
01-11-2009, 1:42 AM
Alex..if your PM3520B comes like mine. It is a double length pallet...about 28" high.. I don't think you'll get it into a station wagon. It will fit in a truck but I would plan on getting something to unload it from the truck or make a ramp to slide it out of the truck. Mine was delivered into my shop. By taking the top off the box...removing the leg assemblies and loose stuff, I was able to slide it the length of my shop by myself. I used a hoist attached to a beam across the top rung of my Little Giant ladder to raise one end of the bed and attach the leg assembly. Then I moved the ladder and hoist and raised the other end to attach the 2nd leg assembly. Then I put the the tail stock on and I was ready to turn.

Good luck. Congrats! Becareful!

Reed Gray
01-11-2009, 2:03 AM
The guy who bought my PM 3520A got it into his little Toyota hatchback, in pieces. The ways went in the passenger seat. legs in the back seat, motor in the trunk along with the tailstock and banjo. I didn't think he could do it. It was really riding low.
robo hippy

Jeff Nicol
01-11-2009, 5:41 AM
Alex, You may be able to get a small trailer to do the job if you have a hitch. Or if not being a wood turner and having a way to haul things is key, I would put one on and get a trailer or find a friend who has one to borrow once in a while. If that is not an option then I guess the Robbo Hippi solution might work, uncrate it and put some cardboard down in the wagon and put it in piece at a time.

No matter how you get it home you will be very happy with the lathe!

Enjoy and Good luck!

Jeff

Kurt Bird
01-11-2009, 7:34 AM
Alex,
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_19f4xnj9&revision=_latest

BILL DONAHUE
01-11-2009, 1:13 PM
Jeff has an excellent point about the uses for a trailer hitch. There are so many ways it can come in handy and even needed on short notice. I came across a used PM3520B that was 450 miles away and had to make a decision to get it on a moments notice. I rented a small trailer at a cost of about $75 and got a PM 3520B for almost half price. Moving it was a snap!

Rich Souchek
01-11-2009, 3:05 PM
A wagon would be difficult to get a 3520b home.
I used a pick-up truck and took delivery at the shipper's yard. they loaded my truck with a fork lift.
At my shop, I had borrowed a friends engine lift. Un packed the shipping crate and lifted the bed with the engine lift. Added one set of legs, then the other with a strap around the bed held up by the engine hoist. Then assembled the lathe and moved it to the position wanted still suspended by the engine hoist.
Worked very smooth this way.
Rich S.

alex carey
01-11-2009, 4:46 PM
I am going to use a friends pickup truck. Then once it's in the driveway I'll just unpack it in the car, I got plenty of strong friends to help me with the lifting. Am I right to say it only take 2 people to set up once it's out of box?

Alex

Rich Boehlke
01-11-2009, 9:12 PM
Agree with the need for a pickup or trailer to get your new toy home. I picked up a used cherry picker type engine hoist on Craigs list to use with the unpacking and assembly.

Pete Jordan
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I am going to use a friends pickup truck. Then once it's in the driveway I'll just unpack it in the car, I got plenty of strong friends to help me with the lifting. Am I right to say it only take 2 people to set up once it's out of box?

Alex

Three would be better.

Jeff Nicol
01-12-2009, 7:24 AM
Great minds think alike!!!

Invest in your future, but under your own control!

Jeff

Jon Lanier
01-12-2009, 8:42 AM
I tell you what... I'll pick that up for you with my truck. It might just happen though, it'll get delivered to my house. :p

Wyatt Holm
01-12-2009, 3:32 PM
If you have some friends who own a cabinet shop, or any shop with a loading dock, they would probably let you ship to their address. They might even help you move it to your shop too. (Well maybe not, at least I have good friends!)
Wyatt

alex carey
01-12-2009, 4:44 PM
I'm 18...not too many friends who own their own business and have a commercial address :) though i'm sure my parents friends do.

I'll bring a pickup truck and my volvo wagon. I assume it'll fit into a truck, I don't know if the wheel rim that comes in the truck will get in the way because it is not the full size truck. If it does I am coming prepared with the tool to open the box right there and take it in a few pieces.
I assume they would let me do that at the pickup spot.

Alex