PDA

View Full Version : My best ideas sometimes come at the strangest moments.

James Jaragosky
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
My best ideas sometimes come at the strangest moments.
Today’s hairball idea.
While replacing an old but still usable toilet seat, the idea hit me that the surface of the closed lid is a perfect place for a engraving or cnc carving.
Just think of all the possibilities, portraits of the boss, mother-in-law, favorite Politian, brand, logo, slogan, ect…

Although it would probably be a bigger hit if you printed the image out with a plotter on some type of clear easy to remove contact vinyl. I believe that this would be more marketable that way.
Alas I do not have a plotter so ill just carve something into the lid I have and see if I an get a acceptable finish when I am done.

If it works out I’ll post the results, if not I’ll just let this idea fade away like many of my other crazy ideas.
Jim j.

Bill Cunningham
01-10-2009, 11:39 PM
There aint much in the world thats new James!

http://images.google.ca/images?q=laser%20engraved%20toilet%20seats&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Steve Clarkson
01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Yea, Belinda and I thought we were the first ones to think of this too....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=912420&postcount=1

James Jaragosky
01-11-2009, 12:07 AM
There aint much in the world thats new James!

http://images.google.ca/images?q=laser%20engraved%20toilet%20seats&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Either great minds think alike,
Or crazy ideas get around.
Either way you sure let the air outta my tires.:o

John W. Love
01-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Either great minds think alike,
Or crazy ideas get around. Either way you sure let the air outta my tires.:o

Keep your thinking cap on James, because as I have found there is really not much that is sacred with those of us that laser. Seems like every time I turn around I see something and think, "hmmm now what could I do with that".
As I saw in a post a while back, (author not credited because I can't remember which of the wise men or women in this forum said it, and Im too tired to go thread surfing because I know I will get sidetracked and be here for hours on end just absorbing things) " In the beginning I looked for any flat surface to laser on, now I look for any shape to laser on".

And just because its not an original idea does not mean it cannot be a profitable or at least fun idea. And just because its being done does not mean its being done in your market. It may be seen as an "original" idea to your customers.
And since we are on the subject of toilets, I saw a pictue the other day of a Toilet that was done real nicely with "Oklahoma Sooners" designs on it, it appeared to be done with sublimation I am guessing. On the inside of the lid it says "this is the only bowl the sooners belong in". Being a Texas Longhorn I laughed hard at it. No offense to the Okies out there!

Belinda Barfield
01-11-2009, 8:09 AM
LOL . . . James when Steve and I were "brainstorming" this I don't think either of us went in the direction of putting a boss or MIL on the seat. That may be something new that would have a market! We were all thinking in terms of wildlife (like Phyllis engraves), team logos, etc. Mother-in-law . . . hmmm. :D

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 9:50 AM
For a business rest room: We aim to please, you aim too, please.

For bar, ladies' room: Please remain seated for the entire performance.

For bar, men's room: Stand closer, you got nuthin' to brag about.

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 9:52 AM
Every surface is engravable, right?

When your favorite tool is a hammer, everything is a nail.

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 9:53 AM
My best ideas come to me in the bathroom too.

Belinda Barfield
01-11-2009, 10:04 AM
for a business rest room: We aim to please, you aim too, please.

For bar, ladies' room: Please remain seated for the entire performance.

For bar, men's room: Stand closer, you got nuthin' to brag about.

rolfmbo . . .

Mike Christen
01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Been there done that :)

Mike

Angus Hines
01-12-2009, 8:20 AM
Hey James, Stick a pen(Sharpie) in your ShopBot and it becomes a big plotter. :D

Stephen Beckham
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Going back to serious opportunity for bathroom work....

Someone in here posted ideas of using Cermark on the Ceramic toliet tank top for marking. He'd put sport's scenes, wildlife scenes and just generic names... Not sure who it was or if they'd chime in or not....

James - as always, I appreciate your contributions for input of ideas - after being here for several years, I don't think too many are far fetched anymore, so please keep them coming... Imagination is the hardest part of this game - with one spark, you can ignite many other's to take it the next step....

Kim Vellore
01-12-2009, 1:44 PM
Word of caution be wary of the subject you are engraving because some folks might be tempted to use it with the lid closed esp guys.
Kim

Michael Kowalczyk
01-12-2009, 2:44 PM
Word of caution be wary of the subject you are engraving because some folks might be tempted to use it with the lid closed esp guys.
Kim
Just engrave both top and bottom then. It will help your bottom line and this way you get them them coming and going. :eek:

But make sure it is sealed well or it will be a pain to clean.

Dan Hintz
01-13-2009, 7:31 AM
But make sure it is sealed well or it will be a pain to clean.

"Honey, that is not what I meant by color fill!" :cool:

Bill Cunningham
01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
And Ladies!!!! PLEASE remember to raise it back up when yer done!!:D

James Jaragosky
01-14-2009, 11:36 AM
And Ladies!!!! PLEASE remember to raise it back up when yer done!!:D
Since engraving toilet seats seems to be well covered, I went and carved it on my CnC machine.
If you want to see the finished product here is the link.http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101529

I want to thank everyone for all the support and feedback.
Jim J.

Levi Chanowitz
01-20-2009, 5:32 PM
you could engrave on the top of the seat ring "Please leave seat up after use",and on the bottom of the seat ring "please leave seat down after use"

Mark Ross
07-28-2009, 8:45 AM
I'm thinking that for the recently divorced market, maybe a nice cutting board with a picture of their ex on it so they can take out the cleaver and have at it...

Belinda Barfield
07-28-2009, 8:59 AM
I'm thinking that for the recently divorced market, maybe a nice cutting board with a picture of their ex on it so they can take out the cleaver and have at it...

Or, a nice engraved cork dart board. Okay, I've got dibs on this one! LOL. I know lots of men who would like to throw darts at the Ex. Probably lots of women as well, I just don't that many women who throw darts! Maybe a his and hers set, the perfect Christmas gift for that newly divorced couple - dart board for him, cutting board for her. :D

Mark Ross
07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm a really great cook and I throw darts, so I want both.

That's why us divorced people can go to New Guinea and not worry about getting eaten by cannibals. Cannibals don't eat divorced people...they're too bitter! :)

Belinda Barfield
07-28-2009, 12:08 PM

That's why us divorced people can go to New Guinea and not worry about getting eaten by cannibals. Cannibals don't eat divorced people...they're too bitter! :)

I love it!! That would be just too darn funny . . . if it wasn't so true . . .:D

Why in the world would anyone divorce a great cook? That just doesn't make good sense.

Bill Cunningham
08-01-2009, 9:21 PM

Ya, and they won't eat clowns eiather ..They taste funny..

AL Ursich
08-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Pooh Bear was popular.... :eek:

Double stick tape.

AL

Levi Chanowitz
08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
what is this? how did you get the bear?

Trevor Watson
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
LOL would love to see a pic of someone who has sat on a CNC engraved
toilet seat for more than five minutes .. might leave a lasting impression on the person ! now that owuld be a funny sight!.

Trevor

Mark Ross
08-10-2009, 4:42 PM
I love it!! That would be just too darn funny . . . if it wasn't so true . . .:D

Why in the world would anyone divorce a great cook? That just doesn't make good sense.

Beats me, they say never trust a skinny chef (I'm not skinny but I'm no Dom Deluise either, I go to the gym 5 days a week). Anyhow, we don't even order in pizza. I make my own. Attached are the before and after cooking pictures for a handmade cheese stuffed crust soudough pizza, the dough has basil and oregano and other spices right in the dough. The sourdough is from my own starter in my fridge. The kids like peperoni but the adults liked the basil chicken pesto portion.

Steve Clarkson
08-10-2009, 7:14 PM
I assume you cooked that with your laser............