PDA

View Full Version : Wireless USB mouse problem

Mitchell Andrus
01-10-2009, 7:31 PM
Everything in the box is colliding as we get more compact computers and plug-and-play crams it all through the USB ports...

I've spent the last week trying to get my laser cutter to run from a new laptop. My old desktop ran it just fine and despite loading 3 different versions of the laser's drivers and 2 versions of the USB drivers the laptop failed to recognize the laser and connect. I was blaming the laptop and so was the laser company's engineers.

Then, just to see... I unplugged the wireless USB mouse receiver. Presto!!!! Success.

Once the laser has been 'found', I can plug the receiver back in and both work just fine.

Like I've said in other posts - I HATE when stuff doesn't work as expected.

Just hope someday this helps you trouble-shoot a problem.

Chuck Wintle
01-10-2009, 8:19 PM
what kind of laptop do you have?

Mitchell Andrus
01-10-2009, 9:15 PM
It's a Dell XPS

Tim Morton
01-10-2009, 9:39 PM
i unfortunately have 3 PC units at work i have to deal with...to run cnc router, laser engraver and gerber edge...and when i took this job they each had wireless meece....first thing i did was chuck them in the trash...PC does not do wireless well. JMO

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 9:45 AM
i unfortunately have 3 PC units at work i have to deal with...to run cnc router, laser engraver and gerber edge...and when i took this job they each had wireless meece....first thing i did was chuck them in the trash...PC does not do wireless well. JMO

But.... but..... I LIKE not having a wire on my mouse....:(

Tim Morton
01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
But.... but..... I LIKE not having a wire on my mouse....:(

then buy a mac;)

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
then buy a mac;)

Tim - THAT'S A RECORD!!!!!!

Only 5 replies to get to the 'Mac Solution'. (there's no prize involved, just bragging rights)

I seriously considered a Mac, but the software I use to manage my store's database, and the drivers I use for a few tools aren't available for Mac yet. B'sides, my #1 troubleshooter is LOML and she knows nothing about Mac, let alone running aps converted from PC platform.

David DeCristoforo
01-11-2009, 11:28 AM
FWIW, you can install windoze on any Intel Mac and have a "dual boot" system, windoze for those "few things" and OSX for everything else. But in any case the advice to toss the cordless mouse into the nearest trash can is seconded. Next time just get a basketball. It will last a lot longer.....

David G Baker
01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Mitchell,
I have had problems with USB devices in the past. For some reason the order in which the USB receptacles are used on the computer can make a difference. I rearrange the order and all is well in most cases.

Ben Rafael
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
My mouse is bluetooth, no usb conflicts.

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 12:38 PM
BT... yes, I'll give that a try too.

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Order....? You can set the order? Why doesn't somebody tell me this stuff.

David G Baker
01-11-2009, 1:28 PM
I don't know if the order can be set, I just swap the plug positions until it works.

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 1:37 PM
Funny.... Hotplugging and USB mapping was supposed to be the answer to a clog of serial and parallel cables.... Too much stuff plugged in....

I've been watching some of the CES vids coming in at Youtube. More's coming.

Ben Rafael
01-11-2009, 1:51 PM
This is another argument for a mac.
I have 8 USB devices plugged in to my mac with no problems and I know people who have more.
I've had 2 windows PCs that would give me trouble at 5 USB devices.

Mitchell Andrus
01-11-2009, 3:46 PM
It won't be long before there's a Windows USB traffic cop utility.

Jason Roehl
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Mice don't like it when their tails are cut off.

I can't STAND wireless desktop items. Just more batteries to deal with and buy constantly--and they never die while you're in the drugstore already shopping for batteries, it's always late at night when everything is closed and you're working on a big project that needs to be done the next day.