PDA

View Full Version : New BLMB hollow form

keith zimmerman
01-10-2009, 6:26 PM
I bought myself a Kelton small sized hollowing rig a couple of months ago and have finally had a chance to finish the first form to come off it. It is a piece of big leaf maple burl that was given to me. It is about 6" tall with a dyed maple collar and finished with Watco Teak Oil. This is the first and last piece of wood that I will use the Teak Oil on. I really dislike it because it is too soft and takes forever to dry. It also darkens the wood more than I would expect an oil to do.

thanks for looking.

Bill Bolen
01-10-2009, 6:32 PM
Wow Keith! Your form is gorgeous and the finish looks just wonderful. Just an outstanding piece...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2009, 6:33 PM
Very nice hollow form Keith! Love the wood and all the curl! Never used the Watco Teak Oil - thanks for the warning!

Jeff Nicol
01-10-2009, 6:37 PM
Keith , It looks good to me! I like the darkness of the main body. I think like lots of just oils like teak, walnut, Boiled and regular linseed oil they take a long time to dry. I tend to wipe them down three or four times during the first day so that any of the oil that wants to flow back out of open pores will be wiped away. Even danish oil has a tendancy to do this if a lot was applied, even on hard wood like maple.

Again very nice!

Jeff

Duff Bement
01-10-2009, 8:10 PM
I think it looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Great looking piece Keith. You will find that a lot of the oils will darken the wood somewhat. I use Watco Teak Oil and it dried in 24 hrs per coat.

Jim Kountz
01-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Amazing grain and color, great job!!

Benjamin Dahl
01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
keith, I really like that piece. I like the finish too but since you may have had something different in mind I understand why you don't like it being darkened.
thanks for sharing,
ben

Christopher K. Hartley
01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Keith, nice job! I like what you did with this one. Hope you enjoy that Kelton. Have you tried Antique Oil? :)