PDA

View Full Version : Grr-Ripper Clones

Gary Ballard
01-10-2009, 3:05 PM
Hi all,

I joined SMC several weeks ago and have to say I'm very impressed to say the least. What a great group of courteous, polite and knowledgeable individuals.

I've come across some great ideas and excellent advice. Reading through the different forums I was quick to learn that my safety habits in the shop were nothing short of downright dangerous.

I got to thinking, I've been woodworking for several years now, still have 10 fingers and my eyesight. My first step to correct my poor habits was to start using my safety glasses. I then came across a post by Steve Sawyer from 2 years ago about making some Grr-Ripper Clones. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49772

I want to say thanks Steve for the great idea and it didn't cost much to make 2 Grr-Ripper Clones. I'm sure using these will give me continued use of 10 fingers.

Glad to be here and look forward to contributing to the forums.

Gary

Bruce Page
01-10-2009, 3:53 PM
Welcome to SMC Gary.
Those look just like my yellow ones!
I bet they were a lot cheaper

Dewey Torres
01-10-2009, 4:49 PM
Welcome to the creek!~:)

Let us know how the grippers work for you.

Tom Veatch
01-10-2009, 6:01 PM
Looks very nice, Gary. I own a couple of the original MicroJig products and the only thing I see different that would affect the functionality is the thickness of the "inboard" leg. That leg is much thinner on the commercial product that what it looks to be on yours. I've found that thin leg to be very useful with rip cuts in the 1/4"-1/2" range. I've even had times where I wished it were a little thinner.

Other than that minor quibble, looking good!

Gary Ballard
01-10-2009, 6:29 PM
Thanks, you're correct, the inner leg is 3/4" as are the others. Right now that works for me and I thought of down the road. Seeing that it's made of wood I can always cut it thinner if necessary. We'll see how it goes, only time will tell.

Have a great day

Bill Esposito
01-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Looks very nice, Gary. I own a couple of the original MicroJig products and the only thing I see different that would affect the functionality is the thickness of the "inboard" leg. That leg is much thinner on the commercial product that what it looks to be on yours. I've found that thin leg to be very useful with rip cuts in the 1/4"-1/2" range. I've even had times where I wished it were a little thinner.

Other than that minor quibble, looking good!Tom, Microjig now sells 1/8" legs....at the woodworking shows I think. I've got a couple coming and I'll report on them once I get them.

Gary, great execution.