PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Drill Doctor?

Bob Slater
01-10-2009, 2:47 PM
Just wondering if they are worth the $$ and work as advertised. I was watching a late night infomercial and came close to wanting one....but so far I have resisted TV products like Flowby's, and George Foreman Grills.

Barry Vabeach
01-10-2009, 2:52 PM
Bob, I have one and it works great. I bought one of the upper end models so I could modify some bits to use for drilling metal, I would think an entry level one would be fine.

lou sansone
01-10-2009, 3:05 PM
I was raised and taught by machinists how to sharpen my own drill bits and have done so for years. but I did buy the DD and really love it. on small bits especially it really works very well. good money spent

Paul Demetropoulos
01-10-2009, 3:17 PM
Got mine as a gift, I think it works great. I always carry a bunch of old bits for drilling plaster and such and this thing gives new life to them all.

Bob Vallaster
01-10-2009, 3:17 PM
Bob,
My bride gave me the model 500 (capacity up to 1/2") for Christmas a few years ago.
I exchanged it for the model 750 to get the additional chuck for bits to 3/4".
Very happy with the package and will not give it up until I no longer use drill press or pistol drill.
I can buy worn bits at garage sales/flea markets for a dollar a fistful and bring 'em back to life. (Avoid any mangled on the chucked end.) Have bought Huot index boxes and built multiple sets for friends and the kids.

Good bang for the buck.

BobV

Randal Stevenson
01-10-2009, 3:18 PM
Reread both the above posts. I agree they are great if you want to change angles (material being drilled) and haven't got a lot of experience with doing so on a grinder.

I worked in a garage for a bit, and the grinder wheels always need work or replacing. They are fine for general shaping of the bit, but not finish sharpening. I also need sharp left handed bits as well as large ones (the reason I bought the 750x model DD).
Look at the size of bits you use. After the initial sharpening, you tend to only touch up, unless you find some good bits at a garage sale (BTDT). For home, I would have probably bought the lower end model, rough shaped broken bits on the grinder and sharpened on the DD. When I left the garage, my DD came home with me (they do ask to borrow occasionally three blocks away).
Unless you need it now, watch for a sale though. When I bought mine (Amazon), I purchased it for $99.

Bill Huber
01-10-2009, 3:32 PM
I have one and wouldn't be without it.

I do have the small one and that servers my needs just fine.

Bob Genovesi
01-10-2009, 3:50 PM
Bob,

I opted for the 500 as well. I think it does pretty much everything the 750 does with the exception handling up to 3/4 inch diameter bits, the 500 sharpens up to 1/2 inch diameter bits.

I like having it around and now my bits are always sharp when I need them.

Dewey Torres
01-10-2009, 4:52 PM
I have one but mine is the low end model and if I had to do it again I would have gotten the one that does split points:(

Yes it works... not a gimmick.

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2009, 5:01 PM
I would sell mine. Make an offer and include shipping from 61705. It is the 500 lower end modle. No box or manual.

Bob Slater
01-10-2009, 5:05 PM
SOLD!!! Thanks for the glowing reviews....Now I am on the hunt for a Deal. Love the idea of buying used junk garage sale bits, especially US made stuff from the previous industrial era. Thanks.

Bruce Page
01-10-2009, 5:07 PM
I received the 750 for Christmas a few years ago. I sharpened a bunch of bits with it and it works very well.
I still prefer to sharpen by hand, it’s just faster.

If you don’t know how to hand sharpen, then it is money well spent

Jay Yoder
01-10-2009, 5:14 PM
I have the 500 and it works great! I did all my bits when I first got it, and used it sparingly since. I wish it could do split points, but other than that works great. U won't regret it at all!

Bob Genovesi
01-10-2009, 5:41 PM
I wish it could do split points

The Drill Doctor 500X does, take a look at pages 13 through 15 in your owners manual....:confused:

John Bush
01-10-2009, 5:44 PM
I could use one for the pile of old garage sale bits. Seems the 750 offers more bang for the buck. I am not sure what a "split point" is but I am sure I have some in the bottom of the drawer. Could someone describe what it is? Thanks, JCB.

Jim Watts
01-10-2009, 8:22 PM
I could use one for the pile of old garage sale bits. Seems the 750 offers more bang for the buck. I am not sure what a "split point" is but I am sure I have some in the bottom of the drawer. Could someone describe what it is? Thanks, JCB.

I have no idea, but found this. Makes sense, I guess...

http://www.jackrabbittool.com/art/splitpointbit.jpg

Steve Southwood
01-10-2009, 8:42 PM
I have the 500 also. Bought one for myself and brother in law, on clearance at HD. Been couple years ago, but well worth it.

Barry Vabeach
01-10-2009, 8:52 PM
My understanding is that a split point will be easier to start a hole in a particular spot in metal. After you sharpen it, you put it in another port and it grinds the sides of the point. I don't think I would spend extra to get that if you are mainly drilling wood. One thing to consider is that if you are doing a lot of regrinding garage sale finds is to get the 100 grit grinding wheel. The DD comes with a 180 wheel standard.

Jason Whitaker
01-10-2009, 9:01 PM
Love it......simple to use and when not in use it stores away in its little bag in a cubby for another day. Split point feature is nice as well, has made many a bit I thought were garbage work quite well.

Mike Heidrick
01-11-2009, 12:07 AM
The Drill Doctor 500X does, take a look at pages 13 through 15 in your owners manual....:confused:

DD500 does as well.

Comments
The Drill Doctor® will re-sharpen carbide, high-speed steel, standard, masonry, split point, cobalt, TiN coated and parabolic twist drill bits.

Sonny Edmonds
01-11-2009, 12:17 AM
I've got one and have turned all my twist drills into split point types with it.
One huge bonus for me was being able to take regular metric bits (10mm & 7mm) and make them into split points for my lathe pen making.
Mine is the 1/2" capacity model, but more than sufficient for my needs. I very rarely ever need to drill larger holes with twist drills. ;)

Rick Levine
01-11-2009, 1:14 PM
I have the 750 and wouldn't be without it. I was trying to mount a fire extinguisher in my Jeep yesterday and was using a relatively new bit to drill through the interior body metal. It just wouldn't penetrate. I pull out my Drill Doctor and after a few quick turns went back the Jeep and it instantly went through. I added the spilt point which kept the bit from wandering which in this case was important because I was also drilling through the plastic interior paneling of the vehicle.

Dave Cav
01-11-2009, 4:16 PM
I got a 750 a few years ago. I wanted the increased capacity for bigger bits I use on my engine lathe. It works great. Little bit of a learning curve, but once you master it, things go fine.

Dave C

Rich Boehlke
01-11-2009, 9:18 PM
I have the 750 and am glad I bought it. If you need to sharpen some large or long bits, the machine quickly pays for itself. If you havent already, buy it!

Mark Boyette
01-11-2009, 9:30 PM
I tried one once and found the I can sharpen a bit by hand faster than the drill doctor. Personally I like sharpening them the old fashioned way.
just preferrence I guess.
Mark.

Ryan Baker
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I also have the base machine and it is great. Absolutely worth the price.