PDA

View Full Version : Silly painful lesson

Reed Gray
01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I can turn and chew gum at the same time even though I some times get some wood chips in it. I can't however turn, chew and talk at the same time. Bit my lip several times during a demo last week. Just a little bit too much to multi task all at one time.
robo hippy

Allen Schmid
01-10-2009, 1:29 PM
Keep practicing! You will eventually get it "right". Saltwater...gargle with saltwater...it will speed the healing process!
Allen

Richard Madison
01-10-2009, 1:31 PM
Consider yourself fortunate. Some of us can barely do one thing at a time, never mind two.

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2009, 2:07 PM
Reed - I can appreciate the story!

I did a demo for our turning club last Tuesday and all I can say is I don't chew gum! Had several technically challenging moments due to trying to use a club lathe for the first time and it wasn't 100% operational. Let's just say I really know how to clear a path! The speaking thing is something I am not used to and presented everything in stages. Explained everything in a simple how-to format, then actually made the cut. Thought everything ended up OK but haven't heard from any of the club members. Could that be a sign?

Didn't bite my lip but did go a little hoarse from trying to speak up over demos on 3 other lathes, a grinder and a room full of guys trying to tell jokes!

Heal quickly!

robert hainstock
01-10-2009, 3:35 PM
Reed - I can appreciate the story!

I did a demo for our turning club last Tuesday and all I can say is I don't chew gum! Had several technically challenging moments due to trying to use a club lathe for the first time and it wasn't 100% operational. Let's just say I really know how to clear a path! The speaking thing is something I am not used to and presented everything in stages. Explained everything in a simple how-to format, then actually made the cut. Thought everything ended up OK but haven't heard from any of the club members. Could that be a sign?

Didn't bite my lip but did go a little hoarse from trying to speak up over demos on 3 other lathes, a grinder and a room full of guys trying to tell jokes!

Heal quickly!
I have been in te club with steve for two years, and it was one of the most through and well attended demos yet given. So often we see someone turn an object with no explanation of How to hold the tool, why are we holding the tool this way, which tool are we using, etc. I think you will get more demo time in the near future.
Bob

robert hainstock
01-10-2009, 3:38 PM
I would have to stop turning to explain. So congrats, you're a multi tasker. :)
Bob

Jim Kountz
01-10-2009, 5:44 PM
Yeah I dont think its something I could do very well. Im plenty used to being in front of people with the band and all but talking and turning at the same time + me = Disaster!!

Larry Marley
01-10-2009, 7:54 PM
Hi,
just stick the gum behind your ear until after you are done.

Duff Bement
01-10-2009, 8:05 PM
Reed - I am sure nobody even noticed. I guarantee it didn't hurt as much as running my cold fingertips into the ghost on first attempt at a square winged bowl yesterday. As a wise man once said " bad words were said". :D I believe the reason that stuff hurts so much is that God figures it easier to stop us from making the mistakes than it is to help us heal. Hope the pain is gone soon!!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Multi tasking can be a daunting task especially when you try to do three things at the same time.:eek::D;):rolleyes::cool: Heck I can barely walk and chew gum. Reed I hear ya.