PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

alex carey
01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Guy who cuts trees for a living delivered wood for me because he was in the area. I took a bunch of his hands. He told me it was pear. Normally I would just type in Pear Tree on google and see if I can get a bark match up or see similar trees to see if it really is pear. I did that and I didn't come up with anything even close. Can anyone tell me if this is pear? Also is Pear any good.

BTW I would suggest getting the number of a few tree cutters. They love giving me wood. To get rid of it they have to pay by the ton so it's a win win situation. To sweeten the deal I give them a turning also.

Alex

curtis rosche
01-10-2009, 1:54 PM
looks like it could be pear, or hedge apple.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-10-2009, 2:29 PM
Yes Alex it could very well be pear wood, the bark does look like some pear trees look like, though they are variable depending the kind of pear tree it is, and no not Osage Orange Curtis, not even close.

I think this is worth a "You suck" :D :D

alex carey
01-10-2009, 2:30 PM
thanks for the help. If you guys think it could be and he said it was that's all I need.

Alex

Ted Calver
01-10-2009, 3:46 PM
Looks like Bradford Pear....one of my favorite turning woods...let some spalt too, if you can.

Reed Gray
01-10-2009, 3:52 PM
It looks like pear to me as well. Wonderful wood to turn, smooth even grain. The only thing about the pear I had was it had little color to it. As an after thought from attending a Molly Winton demo, I think it would be great for pyrography.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree with Ted. It looks like Bradford pear and is a dream to turn.

David Epperson
01-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Looks like Bradford Pear....one of my favorite turning woods...let some spalt too, if you can.
I tend to agree on the BP assessment, mainly due to the color. Fresh cut, the wood I have was almost pink, but after a few days in the sun and air it turned that same orange color.

alex carey
01-11-2009, 4:52 AM
To make it spalt all I have to do is keep it in a bag and seal it, then wait a few months right?

Alex

Ted Calver
01-11-2009, 9:45 AM
Alex,
I've heard that method works although haven't tried it myself. I usually use the procrastinators method of inducing spalting. I pile the logs on the ground in a shady spot in the back yard thinking they will rot unless I cut them into blanks right away and all the effort it took to cut and haul them home will have been wasted. Then, a year or so later, when I get around to cutting them into blanks....voila!!....they are spalted :) :)

Christopher K. Hartley
01-11-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm with Ted and Bernie, It looks a lot like Bradford Pear. If so, that stuff is a real sweet turn. As far as Spalting if you find a shady spot place the cut end in the dirt (just a bit moist, do that every so often as you don't have much humidity in Calif.) and put some dirt on top as well then cover it you should be there in about six to eight months if not sooner depending on the temperature. Remember you are in Calif. and Ted is in New York. Be careful though to check every three months or so if it starts to punk get it up quick. Bradford will Punk before you know it if not careful. :)